+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Error in marriage certificate

arv22

Feb 13, 2021
@legalfalcon
Hello sir, I have a problem with my marriage certificate.
For privacy reasons, I will alter my name.
Let's say according to our naming system in South India, my name is Rachel J.K in all my documents. So my passport name is Rachel John Karen.( Rachel is my given name .John is my father's name and Karen is my mother's name) .

But my marriage certificate says Rachel John. It doesn't include my second initial. . But it has my photo and my husband photo. We have our names in each other's passport. Even in my child's birth certificate. Will LOE be accepted?

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
It's still early in Canada. Someone will answer soon. Are you able to get it fixed in the meantime? You can risk sending it and send in a corrected one layer. But that's a risk. Each Visa officer is different. But wait for the experts.

arv22

Feb 13, 2021
So I haven't started my application yet. If this is gonna be a problem, I will try to get it corrected. But it seems a lengthy process.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
@legalfalcon
Let's say according to our naming system in South India, my name is Rachel J.K in all my documents. So my passport name is Rachel John Karen.( Rachel is my given name .John is my father's name and Karen is my mother's name) .

But my marriage certificate says Rachel John. It doesn't include my second initial. . But it has my photo and my husband photo. We have our names in each other's passport. Even in my child's birth certificate. Will LOE be accepted?
Ideally you should apply for a correction/inclusion with the Registrar's office providing a reason for the update.

If that takes time, you may have to get an affidavit from a notary in the interim stating that you have been verified to be the same person mentioned in the marriage certificate and other docs and that you have already applied for the inclusion of your middle name. Bundle that with an LoE.

Maybe an LoE will also suffice, since you have other documentary proof, but just to be on the safe side

Reactions: arv22

arv22

Feb 13, 2021
Ideally you should apply for a correction/inclusion with the Registrar's office providing a reason for the update.

If that takes time, you may have to get an affidavit from a notary in the interim stating that you have been verified to be the same person mentioned in the marriage certificate and other docs and that you have already applied for the inclusion of your middle name. Bundle that with an LoE.

Maybe an LoE will also suffice, since you have other documentary proof, but just to be on the safe side
Thank you

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon

You will need to provide a same name affidavit and file it with your application and also explain it in LoE.

However, if you have time, then get it corrected officially.

Reactions: arv22