+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

entering canada with expired pr card (not met residency requirements)

shackled

Mar 28, 2014
Hi,

Hoping to reenter Canada after 10 years in Germany. I was a landed immigrant to Canada from England in 1973 and left in 2004 for a woman. She got the kids house and everything and now I want to go home. I never had a PR card but have an IMM1000 & sin num. ect. I was very foolish.

What would be the best suggestion to accomplish this. Also, when my children arrive for visits, will this flag my PR status?

cheers!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The best way would be to enter on your UK passport without disclosing that you are a PR. Just say you have come to visit friends. If they figure out from your name and birthdate that you are a PR and ask about that, you can say that you were a PR but left in 2004. If they don't realize that you are a PR or do realize but don't report you for not meeting the RO, you can stay in Canada for 2 years straight and thereby put your PR status back in good standing. Your SIN will have been deactivated but you can go to Service Canada and get it reactivated without a problem. You may have some problems with different levels of government asking for your PR card as proof of your status but you should be able to get around this in most cases. Some employers may ask as well.

Your children coming to visit should not flag your PR status. You just can't apply for anything from immigration. Don't renew your PR card and don't leave.

After 2 years in Canada, you can apply for a PR card again and this time, you should really think about getting citizenship. You can have dual, Canadian and UK so you have nothing to lose.

However, if the immigration officer figures out that you are a PR and insists on reporting you for not meeting the RO, you can try to talk them out of it but if they report you anyway, you must appeal if you want to keep your PR. They will let you enter and let you wait in Canada for your appeal processing which can take from 1-2 years. You may renew your PR card for a year at a time during the appeal process. However, time spent would not count towards the residency requirements unless you win your appeal. If you lose your appeal, you will lose your PR and be asked to leave. You could get your PR back but you would have to immigrate again. With the 1-2 years spent while waiting for your appeal, you may have built a relationship with an employer who wants to keep you or you may have a new woman in your life who wants to sponsor you.

shackled

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks again,
I have many family, all family living in Canada. They, smartly, got their citizenship decades ago. Would it not just be smarter to have them sponsor me back in?
Cheers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
shackled said:
Thanks again,
I have many family, all family living in Canada. They, smartly, got their citizenship decades ago. Would it not just be smarter to have them sponsor me back in?
Cheers.
Unless one of those family members is your daughter or son, they don't qualify to sponsor you.

fx280

Aug 4, 2014
Hello experts,
My mother only stayed four months while she had PR card but due to some issues back home she went back and her PR card expired in July 2013.

what is her best option to try now to come to Canada?

a) should we try for a travel document?
b) should we try for a visit visa now since PR card is expired?

Thank you for your advice.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
fx280 said:
Hello experts,
My mother only stayed four months while she had PR card but due to some issues back home she went back and her PR card expired in July 2013.

If she is not visa-exempt to Canada, she will need either a travel document or she will need to enter via the USA land border in a private vehicle. As a PR, she cannot obtain any form of visa. It will be automatically denied. If she attempts to enter by land, there is a high probability that she will be reported for not meeting the residency obligation requirements.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fx280 said:
Hello experts,

If she has no intention to keep her PR status to live in Canada permanently, she can formally relinquish it by applying for a travel document from her local Canadian embassy. They will see she has not met residency obligations, and will begin process to revoke PR status.

Once she is no longer a PR, then she could apply for a regular TRV to visit, or you could apply for a supervisa for her.

If she did want to stay in Canada as a PR, this will involve lots of luck if she enters by car from the US, that she is not reported at the border. If she is, CIC will most likely revoke her PR status.