+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada from US.

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
I have a visitor visa valid till the end of this year. My question is "If I were to go to US, will I be able to enter Canada again (before the expiry of course) by showing this visa".
My temporary resident visa TRV (that sticker on the passport) expired a long time ago. I entered Canada on a student visa then got a work permit & now I am on this visitor visa.
I was under the impression that only people with student or work permit can enter Canada from US without a TRV.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
mpp2009 said:
I have a visitor visa valid till the end of this year. My question is "If I were to go to US, will I be able to enter Canada again (before the expiry of course) by showing this visa".
My temporary resident visa TRV (that sticker on the passport) expired a long time ago. I entered Canada on a student visa then got a work permit & now I am on this visitor visa.
I was under the impression that only people with student or work permit can enter Canada from US without a TRV.
You said you have a visitor visa valid till the end of this year. But your temporary resident visa TRV (that sticker on the passport) expired a long time ago. Which TRV is expired? So long as you have a valid Temporary Resident Visa (visitor or student or worker) you can exit to, and enter again from, the US. I am assuming you can legally enter the US too. Even on a single entry TRV (visitor, student,worker), you can exit and enter Canada multiple times for as long as your visa is valid, and you only exit to the US, and two other territories (St Pierre and Miquelon?).

ImmEnforce

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Not quite correct....It's not the visa you would be re-entering on it's your status. Your TRV (one entry) will have long expired. You have TRS, Temporary Resident Status which is confirmed by the Visitor's Record you would have been issued. When crossing the border it's very rare that anyone can guarantee that you would be allowed to re-enter. But, In general terms if everything is still on the up and up and you can satisfy an officer that you are still a visitor they will allow you entry to continue your current status.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
ImmEnforce said:
Not quite correct....It's not the visa you would be re-entering on it's your status. Your TRV (one entry) will have long expired. You have TRS, Temporary Resident Status which is confirmed by the Visitor's Record you would have been issued. When crossing the border it's very rare that anyone can guarantee that you would be allowed to re-enter. But, In general terms if everything is still on the up and up and you can satisfy an officer that you are still a visitor they will allow you entry to continue your current status.
What does the "This Does Not Authorize Re-Entry" on the Visitor Record mean? If it is valid till April 2010, can I leave for the US for a day and be allowed back by virtue of the Visitor Record I have? What if I have multiple entry visa, will they look for a visitor record? A bit confused :( Thanks.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
ImmEnforce said:
Now I understand mpp2009. So he has a TRV (student visa stamped on his passport). He changed the conditions of his stay to visitor, and was given a Visitor Record. Visa (stamped on passport) is expired but he has extended status by virtue of his Visitor Record. Thanks Imm. But my confusion is still there. In the guidelines, with your single entry visa (stamped on passport) you can leave Canada several times if you only exit to the US ... Can you not do the same on a Visitor Record?

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
Yes job_seeker, you got it right in your last post. The stamped sticker on passport is long expired but I got a visitor record (paper visa from CIC Vegreville) after my work-permit expired.

I did call Immigration call-center & they said I'll be allowed to re-enter from "just" US. I wanted to verify this as I know one can re-enter Canada from US with a student or work permit. But I wasn't sure about visitor record visa.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
mpp2009 said:
Yes job_seeker, you got it right in your last post. The stamped sticker on passport is long expired but I got a visitor record (paper visa from CIC Vegreville) after my work-permit expired.

I did call Immigration call-center & they said I'll be allowed to re-enter from "just" US. I wanted to verify this as I know one can re-enter Canada from US with a student or work permit. But I wasn't sure about visitor record visa.
So now we know we can =))