+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada as a visitor even with CoPR.

andymack

Mar 21, 2021
Hi - my family and I are visiting Canada for Christmas. My husband (American) will have his CoPR by then, but I don't really want to worry about him doing a proper soft landing that day. We are only planning on moving next summer.
Can he just enter as a visitor and not even mention his CoPR, or just say he is not ready to "land" if they ask? Or does he have to do some type of landing the first time he visits Canada once his CoPR has been issued?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi - my family and I are visiting Canada for Christmas. My husband (American) will have his CoPR by then, but I don't really want to worry about him doing a proper soft landing that day. We are only planning on moving next summer.
Can he just enter as a visitor and not even mention his CoPR, or just say he is not ready to "land" if they ask? Or does he have to do some type of landing the first time he visits Canada once his CoPR has been issued?
I think it would be best to be up-front and advise he does have the COPR but doesn't wish to land that day (be ready to show the COPR). As far as I know they don't refuse such a request, they're not trying to force anyone to become a PR, it's a voluntary thing.

Technically of course they're not obliged to let him enter the country at that point, but that's true for any visitor at any time; not saying this is at all likely, just pointing out that not landing makes him just a visitor. Probably he'll get waved through as at any other visit, although they make take the extra minute or two to check his file.

So basically it's up to you whether he wishes to land that day or not.

Reactions: andymack

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes they can come as a visitor. Would agree best to be upfront and explain what you are doing if you interact with a border agent.

Reactions: andymack

andymack

Mar 21, 2021
Thank you both for your responses! That makes perfect sense and is reasonable. We'll come prepared and be upfront about everything.