+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada as a visitor before my study permit has been issued

fernan_gr

Jan 17, 2013
Hi all,

I will be studying a Master in Canada. I will start on September the 3rd, though the last day for registration is Sep 20.

I am from a Visa-Exempt country. Therefore, to enrol in the courses I only need the student permit.

I applied on July 16. Last week I received an email saying that I needed to take the medical report. This was a surprise, because for Visa-Exempt countries they do not require unless you have spent 6 or more months in one of the countries where they require it. Well, in my case I have been interning in India for the last 5 months... so I guess that they have considered that I need it. Today my medical report has been sent.

The date of my flight will reach soon- Sep 30. I don't have the permit yet... so I was thinking of entering Canada as a visitor before my study permit has been issued. My plan is to enter Canada (I don't need a Visa) and then, once I receive the Permit, I will travel to USA and re-enter Canada to activate it.

What do you think? Can I do this? Or should I wait? Any advises?

Doing some research on the internet, the only thing that I have found so far is this:

Can I enter Canada as a visitor before my study permit has been issued?
If you are a visa-exempt national, we cannot hinder you to travel to Canada before obtaining your work/study permit. However, we strongly advise against it. You may be refused entry into Canada. A study permit can only be issued upon entering Canada from outside. Even if we issue you with a permit letter, you will, nonetheless, have to leave Canada and re-enter to have your study permit validated.

I found it at the website of the Canadian Consulate in Austria.

Thank you very much for your help!

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

In my university web orientation they discouraged to do so as you'll appear lying to the immigration officer at the point of entry, as your status might show on their system that your study permit application is pending while your coming for a touristic visit.