+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entered Given name instead of family name

sg0007

Jun 6, 2022
It’s showing the details with my first name as last name. So it still need to get changed. So biometrics is showing completed for you?

sg0007

Jun 6, 2022
On the biometrics link you sent, I still see the validity with the last name as first name. I dont think its changed. Has it been corrected for you?

CeceKash

Jun 15, 2022
Hi all,

I accidently entered my given name instead of family name in my student visa application. What should i do...my biometrics were all properly done....already informed ircc via webform about my situation.

Regards
Aninkukichu
The VAC will still process your biometrics if the letter has the names on your passport. I advise booking an appointment and they will guide you quicker than just raising a web form

CeceKash

Jun 15, 2022
Yes, I would say go ahead with biometrics. In the centre, they will enrol with the correct name format; After that raise a webform and explain IRCC. Your biometrics on the portal won't get updated until the name is in the correct format. However, you can see your biometrics number and validity on the top right.
They didn't enroll for me but they asked me to write an email to the visa center office for correction. I wrote to them and attached my passport and the first biometrics letter. They sent me another biometrics letter with the correct format of my first and last name just as stated on my passport in an hour. I was then booked for my biometrics the next day.

the.tq.guy

Star Member
Apr 11, 2024
Oakville, ON
Category........
CEC
I had the same issue with the biometrics letter for my mother in her visitor visa, where her first name appeared under the last name, and the last name was under the first name. I booked an appointment with VFS Global (VAC), they told me that they take the name from the passport, not from the visa application.

During her biometrics appointment, they used the name as it appears on my passport. After taking her biometrics, they updated her name in the system and gave her a biometrics confirmation receipt showing her correct name.

When I checked later, I saw that the IRCC had also updated her name according to the biometrics receipt from the VFS (VAC), and her biometrics had been successfully uploaded.

I hope this helps anyone who might face a similar issue in the future!