+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada with TRV after receiving COPR

zeelkheni59

May 12, 2021
Hi,

I received my eCOPR, but need to travel outside Canada before getting the physical PR card.

Can I re-enter using my Visitor Visa (TRV) which is valid till 2025 or do I need PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document)?

I am not sure if old visa/status gets auto-expired on receiving eCOPR.

Thanks so much in advance!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

I received my eCOPR, but need to travel outside Canada before getting the physical PR card.

Can I re-enter using my Visitor Visa (TRV) which is valid till 2025 or do I need PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document)?

I am not sure if old visa/status gets auto-expired on receiving eCOPR.

Thanks so much in advance!
1. Yes you can, just tell the CBSA officer that you don't intend to "land" at this time., Your TRV won't be cancelled until you activate your COPR.

Reactions: zeelkheni59

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi

1. Yes you can, just tell the CBSA officer that you don't intend to "land" at this time., Your TRV won't be cancelled until you activate your COPR.
OP needs to clarify if he/she is in Canada when the eCOPR was issued. If so, I believe the virtual landing has already been done.

zeelkheni59

May 12, 2021
Hi

OP needs to clarify if he/she is in Canada when the eCOPR was issued. If so, I believe the virtual landing has already been done.
Hi @YVR123 - yes, I was in Canada when receiving eCOPR.
So, if the virtual landing is done, can I still use TRV to enter? Or do I need PRTD? Thank you

To Clarify,
I am in Canada > received eCOPR > No PR Card yet > Need to leave canada > How do I re-enter? Using TRV or PRTD?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, if the virtual landing is done, can I still use TRV to enter? Or do I need PRTD? Thank you

To Clarify,
I am in Canada > received eCOPR > No PR Card yet > Need to leave canada > How do I re-enter? Using TRV or PRTD?
Your TRV gets cancelled once you become a PR. You’ll need a PRTD but you can on,y apply from abroad and it can take from a week to over a month depending on the country so that comes with risks.

aaroniclee

Dec 6, 2014

To Clarify,
Did you end up figuring out your travel here? My partner is in a similar situation and wants to know if they can travel with their TRV. Waiting for their PR card currently.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Did you end up figuring out your travel here? My partner is in a similar situation and wants to know if they can travel with their TRV. Waiting for their PR card currently.
No, your partner cannot use their TRV anymore. They need to apply for a PRTD or wait for the PR card.

masanta

Jan 8, 2023
No, your partner cannot use their TRV anymore. They need to apply for a PRTD or wait for the PR card.
I am in same situation, I have received my ecopr and I am already in Canada but I have to leave Canada due to some family emergency meanwhile I do have trv( w1 visa). What if I don’t validate my ecopr will my trv gonna be valid??

munnajazbaati

Nov 15, 2021
BTW, Who checks if your TRV is "valid" or not ?
As long as the TRV expiry date has not passed, they will let you check in and go through security, right ?
Do airline personnel know that your TRV is now invalid because you got your ecopr ?

I am also planning travel and can't wait so long to receive ecopr/pr card

Tmalo

Mar 3, 2014
BTW, Who checks if your TRV is "valid" or not ?
As long as the TRV expiry date has not passed, they will let you check in and go through security, right ?
Do airline personnel know that your TRV is now invalid because you got your ecopr ?

I am also planning travel and can't wait so long to receive ecopr/pr card
hi there, wondering... were you able to travel with the trv please? in the exact situation

Tmalo

Mar 3, 2014
I am in same situation, I have received my ecopr and I am already in Canada but I have to leave Canada due to some family emergency meanwhile I do have trv( w1 visa). What if I don’t validate my ecopr will my trv gonna be valid??
hi @masanta, did you travel & come in with the trv please?

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
hi there, wondering... were you able to travel with the trv please? in the exact situation
If you are a PR, you need a PRTD to re-enter Canada. Don't be fooled by that person's post. Airline will deny boarding as they can and actually are required to verify visa which will be administratively canceled in your case.

Although not similar, here's a post where someone was denied boarding. Airline knew the visa was cancelled.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/airline-said-my-valid-immigrant-visa-was-canceled-before-boarding-to-yvr.781315/