+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada in Airport with US Passport and Expired PR Card

napozhu

Sep 9, 2016
My wife will bring my 10-year-old daughter back to Canada in an airport from a short foreign travel. My daughter's PR Card has expired, but didn't have time to renew it before leaving Canada, and no time to wait for the travelling document at embassy. Can she just use her US Passport to re-enter Canada via airport? Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife will bring my 10-year-old daughter back to Canada in an airport from a short foreign travel. My daughter's PR Card has expired, but didn't have time to renew it before leaving Canada, and no time to wait for the travelling document at embassy. Can she just use her US Passport to re-enter Canada via airport? Thanks!
Yes but - she should use her US passport to board the plane to Canada, and her (expired) PR card to enter Canada.

Don't discuss the PR status with the airline people - not their business. US passport holders, regardless of residency, do not need anything more to board a plane to Canada. (This does NOT apply to PRs who hold other passports, who would need valid PR cards or PRTD)

PRs of Canada should always identify as PRs at the port of entry, i.e. to Canadian border officials. If asked why it's out of date, just tell the truth.

Reactions: napozhu

napozhu

Sep 9, 2016
Yes but - she should use her US passport to board the plane to Canada, and her (expired) PR card to enter Canada.

Don't discuss the PR status with the airline people - not their business. US passport holders, regardless of residency, do not need anything more to board a plane to Canada. (This does NOT apply to PRs who hold other passports, who would need valid PR cards or PRTD)

PRs of Canada should always identify as PRs at the port of entry, i.e. to Canadian border officials. If asked why it's out of date, just tell the truth.
Thank you for your answer! At the Montreal airport, I believe my daughter will need to scan her entry document on a machine first, so her US passport OR expired PR card? Thanks again!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your answer! At the Montreal airport, I believe my daughter will need to scan her entry document on a machine first, so her US passport OR expired PR card? Thanks again!
I don't know for sure. I'd try the pr card first to see.