+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enrollment Letter for travel and changing DLI

rceleste

Jun 7, 2018
Hello
My sister-in-law is trying to come this Fall to Canada as a student. I have been helping with her paperwork and have some questions. So first of all, she did her undergraduate in her home country already. Last year, she applied to a post-graduate program (related to her field) at a College in Canada, and tried to apply for a study permit using that program. She was denied, reasons were mainly because of her family ties in Canada (her brother - my husband - lives here as a PR, and I am Canadian). The other reason was about her education plan, they didn't like the college program...didn't think it made sense since she already had her undergraduate...even though it was a post-graduate program... Anyways, applied again this summer. This time, for the sake of immigration, she got into a Masters level program in her field at a University, and we used that for the study permit application. But she also is still accepted to a post-graduate program at the College for this Fall. Our intention was always to simply use the University program for immigration, get approved, come to Canada, and as soon as she lands, transfer DLI to the College program (the College program is more affordable, hence not actually intending to do the University program).
Anyways, she just got her study permit approved (obviously using the University made a difference...). We thought that was that, all would be good to travel and move on with the plan. However, she saw some other students on another form saying they needed enrollment letters when they travelled. She has her acceptance letter for the University, and proof of tuition paid, so we thought that would be enough for documents needed when travelling... Now the University is actually saying they have filled their Fall intake with students who received their study permits sooner, and she must defer to the January intake. In reality, we don't care about this, because she was gonna switch DLI anyways and attend the College. However, it means she can't get an enrollment letter showing her enrolled for this Fall...so just trying to figure out if the enrollment letter is really needed. When you go to the Travel to Canada website and fill out the little "Find out if you can enter Canada" quiz, you the final page gives you a list of documents needed when travelling...it says to have your letter of acceptance, but that's it. It says nothing about enrollment letters... So wondering about that... Her acceptance letter says her program start date is in September...
Also, like I said, in reality she's not actually going to attend the University, so our thought was as soon as she lands in Canada, we inform IRCC of the transfer to another DLI. Just wondering if they will take issue with that transfer happening right off the get go...or if they're gonna say you have to at least start at the DLI you indicated on your study permit and can only transfer later on...? Thanks for any info....

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello
My sister-in-law is trying to come this Fall to Canada as a student. I have been helping with her paperwork and have some questions. So first of all, she did her undergraduate in her home country already. Last year, she applied to a post-graduate program (related to her field) at a College in Canada, and tried to apply for a study permit using that program. She was denied, reasons were mainly because of her family ties in Canada (her brother - my husband - lives here as a PR, and I am Canadian). The other reason was about her education plan, they didn't like the college program...didn't think it made sense since she already had her undergraduate...even though it was a post-graduate program... Anyways, applied again this summer. This time, for the sake of immigration, she got into a Masters level program in her field at a University, and we used that for the study permit application. But she also is still accepted to a post-graduate program at the College for this Fall. Our intention was always to simply use the University program for immigration, get approved, come to Canada, and as soon as she lands, transfer DLI to the College program (the College program is more affordable, hence not actually intending to do the University program).
Anyways, she just got her study permit approved (obviously using the University made a difference...). We thought that was that, all would be good to travel and move on with the plan. However, she saw some other students on another form saying they needed enrollment letters when they travelled. She has her acceptance letter for the University, and proof of tuition paid, so we thought that would be enough for documents needed when travelling... Now the University is actually saying they have filled their Fall intake with students who received their study permits sooner, and she must defer to the January intake. In reality, we don't care about this, because she was gonna switch DLI anyways and attend the College. However, it means she can't get an enrollment letter showing her enrolled for this Fall...so just trying to figure out if the enrollment letter is really needed. When you go to the Travel to Canada website and fill out the little "Find out if you can enter Canada" quiz, you the final page gives you a list of documents needed when travelling...it says to have your letter of acceptance, but that's it. It says nothing about enrollment letters... So wondering about that... Her acceptance letter says her program start date is in September...
Also, like I said, in reality she's not actually going to attend the University, so our thought was as soon as she lands in Canada, we inform IRCC of the transfer to another DLI. Just wondering if they will take issue with that transfer happening right off the get go...or if they're gonna say you have to at least start at the DLI you indicated on your study permit and can only transfer later on...? Thanks for any info....
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Changing your school or program
Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
You need to contact us if you:
We may ask you to confirm your student status
If you have a study permit, you may receive an email from us. The email address will end in “@cic.gc.ca.” You must follow the instructions in that email, by the date indicated, to confirm you’re enrolled and actively studying in Canada.

If you change schools and don’t tell us
Your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If this happens:
  • you’re breaking the conditions of your study permit
  • you may be asked to leave the country
  • this may prevent you from coming to Canada in the future
    • For example, you may not be approved for another study or work permit in the future.
Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.

If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.
You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello
Your grand plan actually has a huge hole in it - she can't use the SP issued for one DLI at another DLI. She will need to reapply for her SP or she has to start attending at your current DLI for a semester, only then can she transfer.

Also, if you already informed IRCC of her intentions to not attend the DLI for which the SP was issued, chances are her SP has already been invalidated or flagged. Not sure how you can verify this prior to her travelling.

Someone already posted the link to the new rules for you.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
If she can’t show enrolment for current semester she could be denied entry to Canada. The rules have caged to prevent exactly what your sister is doing so there is a good chance your sister will be denied a new SP.

Nwamaka

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa.
App. Filed.......
May 12
Hello
This enrolment letter of a thing is been requested by some airlines for eg Egypt airlines.

Reactions: jmiller9

Nwamaka

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa.
App. Filed.......
May 12
So she needs the enrolment letter to prove she is starting her studies in Canada, if CBSA and the airlines are requesting it.
I don't know if CBSA is requesting it, but if they're requesting it that will be only from people whose program has started before their arrival in Canada and not for people yet to enrol. I saw some people complaining bitterly how Egypt Airways almost made them miss their flight because of enrollment letter even when their program hasn't started yet. So as it is I think it is safe to get the proof of enrolment if possible, and also people should confirm with their airline to be sure of the documents to present in order to board flight. CBSA never asked me for any documents be it letter of acceptance nor almighty port of entry introduction letter and quarantine plan.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't know if CBSA is requesting it, but if they're requesting it that will be only from people whose program has started before their arrival in Canada and not for people yet to enrol. I saw some people complaining bitterly how Egypt Airways almost made them miss their flight because of enrollment letter even when their program hasn't started yet. So as it is I think it is safe to get the proof of enrolment if possible, and also people should confirm with their airline to be sure of the documents to present in order to board flight. CBSA never asked me for any documents be it letter of acceptance nor almighty port of entry introduction letter and quarantine plan.
OP is not even going to attend the DLI. Has plans to enter Canada and not attend. Will need a new study permit anyways.

Reactions: wonderbly

rceleste

Jun 7, 2018
Your grand plan actually has a huge hole in it - she can't use the SP issued for one DLI at another DLI. She will need to reapply for her SP or she has to start attending at your current DLI for a semester, only then can she transfer.

Also, if you already informed IRCC of her intentions to not attend the DLI for which the SP was issued, chances are her SP has already been invalidated or flagged. Not sure how you can verify this prior to her travelling.

Someone already posted the link to the new rules for you.
I had a friend who did exactly this in the past...came and actually got accepted to a better school, so within the first weeks of school, transferred...and simply notified ircc online....is this a new thing that makes this not possible?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I had a friend who did exactly this in the past...came and actually got accepted to a better school, so within the first weeks of school, transferred...and simply notified ircc online....is this a new thing that makes this not possible?
IRCC revised the rules because of too many students taking advantage of that loophole. The link I provided above is the latest from IRCC. The plan that you mentioned is exactly the reason why IRCC changed the rules.

Reactions: YVR123

rceleste

Jun 7, 2018
IRCC revised the rules because of too many students taking advantage of that loophole. The link I provided above is the latest from IRCC. The plan that you mentioned is exactly the reason why IRCC changed the rules.
So what would happen if she managed to get here still using the original DLI...but once she lands, we fill out the form online transferring her DLI...is immigration then going to send her a letter revoking her study permit?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
So what would happen if she managed to get here still using the original DLI...but once she lands, we fill out the form online transferring her DLI...is immigration then going to send her a letter revoking her study permit?
Before she can transfer to another DLI, she must be actively studying in her approved DLI. Else, she needs to apply for a new SP. Even after studying for a semester, I don’t know if she will be allowed to transfer. Always remember, a study permit is just a privilege and not a right. IRCC reserves the right to approve or refuse.

If you want to be safe, apply for another SP before going to Canada, or just continue with the approved DLI. IMHO, the university program is way better than the cheaper college program. it will give your sister-in-law better opportunities.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If she lands, she needs to actively study at the DLI on her study permit...so at least a semester or a year. Then she can transfer DLIs following attending her first DLI.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Yes, most likely. I've seen 1 person who had their SP revoked even before travelling cos they changed their DLI online prior to leaving.