+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

enquiry about processing times of work permit extension, submitted inside Canada

yvonneyvonne

Apr 18, 2012
Hi, everyone,
I hope to ask 2 questions about processing times of work permit extension, submitted inside Canada, same employer.
1 CIC webpage means it takes 42 days (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp). However, some friends did not receive the mail from CIC via post office after 42 days. Does 42 days include post time?
2 Somebody said, usually the applicant will receive a rejection result if CIC has decided to refuse to extend work permit around 30 days, which is less than other processing times. Is it true?
Many thanks.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yvonneyvonne said:
Hi, everyone,
I hope to ask 2 questions about processing times of work permit extension, submitted inside Canada, same employer.
1 CIC webpage means it takes 42 days (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp). However, some friends did not receive the mail from CIC via post office after 42 days. Does 42 days include post time?
No (unfortunately) - we have seen posts showing miscues with delivery even if the WP has been issued.

2 Somebody said, usually the applicant will receive a rejection result if CIC has decided to refuse to extend work permit around 30 days, which is less than other processing times. Is it true?
Many thanks.
Not always true - note that the posted times are taken from data from already processed applications, so IMHO I see it as there is no real-time update of actual current processing times. It is entirely possible the processing for that particular period may have shortened without CIC's website being updated in time to reflect it.

In one of my numerous calls to CIC during my extension - I gathered that the posted times should be taken as the maximum (worst case) - the number of days queued until your application is then evaluated. Oftentimes it does not take them long to make a decision - in a few days or so after they evaluate and make a decision on your application, the reply should be sent/posted on the way to the applicant.

/hope this helps....all the best...

yvonneyvonne

Apr 18, 2012
Thanks a lot to ragluf.
You means it is suitable to estimate or calculate process time according to the longest posted times in nowadays.
Is it right?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yvonneyvonne said:
Thanks a lot to ragluf.
You means it is suitable to estimate or calculate process time according to the longest posted times in nowadays.
Is it right?
I favor using the CIC's published processing times as a guide to set expectations, as historically CIC has not done a good job of meeting them consistently. Better to prepare and plan accordingly using the worst-case scenario when it comes to CIC processing times - saves you the heartbreak often.

/all the best....