+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English requirements for a Master's Graduate from USA

ns.shashi

Mar 10, 2010
Hi All,
I have question reharding English requirements for Skilled canadian visa.
I completed my Master's degree from USA and working on speciality visa H1B. I am new to this forum and have one question regarding English requirements. Can I convince the officer that with Master's degree in USA where Spoken language is English will have my English language good enough for getting Skilled visa for Canada ? I have my TOEFL score which i took 3 years back. Also I graduated with GPA 4.0 out of 4.0. I am also a State Rank Holder in 10th grade and 12th grade on my home country with state level scholarship .

Thanks
Shashi

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ns.shashi said:
Hi All,
I have question reharding English requirements for Skilled canadian visa.
I completed my Master's degree from USA and working on speciality visa H1B. I am new to this forum and have one question regarding English requirements. Can I convince the officer that with Master's degree in USA where Spoken language is English will have my English language good enough for getting Skilled visa for Canada ? I have my TOEFL score which i took 3 years back. Also I graduated with GPA 4.0 out of 4.0. I am also a State Rank Holder in 10th grade and 12th grade on my home country with state level scholarship .

Thanks
Shashi
As of applications submitted after April 10th, you will have to submit IELTS unless your proof of English is bulletproof. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob166.asp

For applications received on or after April 10, 2010, visa officers will only be required to consider the evidence of language proficiency provided at the time of application. If the applicant chooses to provide other written evidence of language proficiency, the proof submitted must clearly demonstrate that they meet the language proficiency claimed for FSW or required for CEC. If the evidence provided is not sufficient, FSW applicants will only be awarded the number of points demonstrated by the material submitted, and CEC applicants may have their applications refused if the minimum requirement has not been demonstrated.

The instruction in section 10.10 of OP 6 [PDF, 280 Kb] to the effect that visa officers will offer applicants a second chance to submit conclusive evidence of language proficiency, i.e. an assessment by a designated organization or institution, will not apply to applications received on or after April 10, 2010. OP 25 [PDF, 255 Kb] will also be amended to reflect this administrative change.

PMM

blueboy

Apr 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'll recommend you should get IELTS to remove any confusion from Immigration officer's mind. If you give any other proof then it totally depends on the CIO officer if it gets accepted or not. My suggestion is if you are confident about your english capabilities then go for IELTS. It's not very hard and once you clear it there is no confusion left in your or CIO's mind.

oceana

Star Member
May 12, 2009
The FSW is a points based system, with 67 as pass mark. Largely depends on how many points tallly you amass outside of Language proficiency. I may be in the minority here, but i think one can still say that there would be some applicants(though very very few) who would only need 4points or less from the language ability factor, and they're the ones who can reasonably opt for written submission. Pitching for 67 on the dot however leaves no margin for errors, its always safe to have excess points at one's disposal.

The new bulletin update link posted by PMM even makes taking the test more expedient, as CiC now looks to pull the plug on applicants banking on a 2nd chance to prove their language proficiency.

G2009

Star Member
Jan 20, 2010
Don't delay your application or get rejection. Appear for IELTS exam. I had to appear (Doctorate USA IVY Leauge, Full Professor, 20 years experience, > 100 publication, on WHO is WHO). Canadian immigration is unpredictable. Don not take chances. Rest is up to you.