+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Reference Letters - how to proceed if unable to get required details

destiny2016

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
Dear All,

I just got an Invitation to Apply (Jan 27th draw) for PR! However, the employment reference letters section makes me nervous.

All of my former employers (multinational investment-banks) will only issue standard letters which state only the duration of employment, job title and department. They will not include other details like salary, duties, responsibilities etc.

How do I proceed in this case?

Many Thanks in advance for your input and suggestion.

varun22

May 26, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
AOR Received.
28-01-2016<br>Medicals Passed - 29-01-2016 <br>Ghost Mail - 31-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
I had similar situation and I attached below docs:

1. Email from my manager mentioning my roles and responsibilities, signed by him
2. Manager's business card
3. Email from HR that they don't provide custom Letters with roles and responsibilities
4. Employment Letter from HR
5. Offer Letter
6. Salary slips
7. promotion letters
8. Income Tax Returns
9. Appreciation Letters

destiny2016

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
varun22 said:
I had similar situation and I attached below docs:

1. Email from my manager mentioning my roles and responsibilities, signed by him
2. Manager's business card
3. Email from HR that they don't provide custom Letters with roles and responsibilities
4. Employment Letter from HR
5. Offer Letter
6. Salary slips
7. promotion letters
8. Income Tax Returns
9. Appreciation Letters
Thank you Varun22. I will try to obtain one or more of the above documents for each of my former employers. This is very useful.

Did you get the letter from your manager notarized as well?

If the former manager is not working for the same employer anymore, can I get this letter from a former colleague who is still at that company?

Has anyone had their PR application approved with this procedure ? Please share your experiences for the benefit of all of us.

popofsky

Oct 16, 2015
I have been selected on January 13th and I was just wondering If I can provide a document from the company saying that I was employed by them during "A" and "B" period of time with my job title would be it enough? I can also provide some payslip worst case scenario

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
popofsky said:
I have been selected on January 13th and I was just wondering If I can provide a document from the company saying that I was employed by them during "A" and "B" period of time with my job title would be it enough? I can also provide some payslip worst case scenario
When we applied, we had two employers that would only list times of employment and position title. For one, we were able to get a former supervisor to write a secondary letter. For the other, we included a Letter of Explanation that stated that the company as a matter of policy would not provide more information.

Fortunately, we had enough work experience without the job that it wasn't necessary. The letter of reference served to avoid any gaps.

destiny2016

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
kateg said:
When we applied, we had two employers that would only list times of employment and position title. For one, we were able to get a former supervisor to write a secondary letter. For the other, we included a Letter of Explanation that stated that the company as a matter of policy would not provide more information.

Fortunately, we had enough work experience without the job that it wasn't necessary. The letter of reference served to avoid any gaps.
Kateg,

All of my former employers will only list duration of employment, department and title.

1. Did you have to get the letter from this former supervisor notarized (if so, did you do it, or did you have the supervisor do it from his/her city?)

2. For the other job (for which I assume you could not get the supervisor's letter), did you write up and sign the letter yourself? Again, did you have to notarize this?

Since I have 50 points for the CRS score from the foreign work experience + language skills (skills transferability), I would have to show proper reference letters from my former supervisors for atleast 3 full years to qualify. Is this correct? This is going to be the hardest part for me.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
destiny2016 said:
1. Did you have to get the letter from this former supervisor notarized (if so, did you do it, or did you have the supervisor do it from his/her city?)
No, the letter was not notarized.

For the other job (for which I assume you could not get the supervisor's letter), did you write up and sign the letter yourself? Again, did you have to notarize this?
No. We included the employer's official letter with title and dates, the tax forms (to show wages), and a letter of explanation.

Since I have 50 points for the CRS score from the foreign work experience + language skills (skills transferability), I would have to show proper reference letters from my former supervisors for atleast 3 full years to qualify. Is this correct? This is going to be the hardest part for me.
It will be difficult. Do the best you can, and if you can get anything from a coworker, supervisor, or customer, it may help.

chella2700

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-16
AOR Received.
07-03-16
Med's Done....
10-03-16
Its a very good question, I have applied by using the basic employment reference letter which I obtained from my current employer. they have mentioned the period from which I started working, job title and the salary. I believe this should be fine.

Please let me know if anyone faced any issue with CIC for providing the letter with period, job title and salary alone.

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chella2700 said:
Its a very good question, I have applied by using the basic employment reference letter which I obtained from my current employer. they have mentioned the period from which I started working, job title and the salary. I believe this should be fine.

Please let me know if anyone faced any issue with CIC for providing the letter with period, job title and salary alone.

Thanks
If there are no job responsibilities available in the reference letter to match with your chosen NOC, you won't get points for this experience.

chella2700

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-16
AOR Received.
07-03-16
Med's Done....
10-03-16
Thanks Asivad, my chosen NOC is different to my current job, which am working only for the last three months. Will it still be an issue?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chella2700 said:
Thanks Asivad, my chosen NOC is different to my current job, which am working only for the last three months. Will it still be an issue?
Don;t confuse this with Primary NOC. If your reference letter doesn't mention job responsibilities, you won't get any points for that work experience.

chella2700

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-16
AOR Received.
07-03-16
Med's Done....
10-03-16
Ok. got it. When i checked the CIC score calculator, for work experience the column states 3 years or more. I have more than 3 years of experience without taking my current job into consideration.

So will it still affect my points? I just wanna ensure that I dont need to get another rejection.:(

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chella2700 said:
Ok. got it. When i checked the CIC score calculator, for work experience the column states 3 years or more. I have more than 3 years of experience without taking my current job into consideration.

So will it still affect my points? I just wanna ensure that I dont need to get another rejection.:(
If you already have valid reference letter for 3 years of foreign work experience (NOC 0/A/B, paid, within 10 years), you're safe on the CRS front.

Make sure you reach 67/100 without needing anything from your current job. If you do, no worries.

chella2700

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-16
AOR Received.
07-03-16
Med's Done....
10-03-16
Yeah I am way above 67 cut off. So I believe it shouldn't create any problem.

mark29

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
kateg said:
No, the letter was not notarized.

No. We included the employer's official letter with title and dates, the tax forms (to show wages), and a letter of explanation.

It will be difficult. Do the best you can, and if you can get anything from a coworker, supervisor, or customer, it may help.
Hello, question, let's say my supervisor is willing to provide a reference letter for me, should it be using the company letter head, or plain paper will be fine?Thanks