+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Reference Letter

LittleBeeInCanada

Sep 9, 2014
Hi guys! Trying to obtain our reference letters with my husband and facing with some problems/ Because we are in Canada now, it's quite hard to get these letters from previous employers. Issues are:
1 - employer doesn't have any records for the period my husband worked there and doesn't provide any letters. Should we just write a LOE expalining the situation and get reference letters from his supervisor and colleagues?
2 - employer was renamed and does not provide any letter of reference for the previous name. Same thing this supervisor and colleagues?
3 - employer provides two separate letters for salary and duties. Is that ok?
4 - self-employed time - do we need any reference letters? We have pay stubs, contract, everything signed

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LittleBeeInCanada said:
Hi guys! Trying to obtain our reference letters with my husband and facing with some problems/ Because we are in Canada now, it's quite hard to get these letters from previous employers. Issues are:
1 - employer doesn't have any records for the period my husband worked there and doesn't provide any letters. Should we just write a LOE expalining the situation and get reference letters from his supervisor and colleagues?

Yes.

2 - employer was renamed and does not provide any letter of reference for the previous name. Same thing this supervisor and colleagues?

Yes.

3 - employer provides two separate letters for salary and duties. Is that ok?

Yes.

4 - self-employed time - do we need any reference letters? We have pay stubs, contract, everything signed

if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income, and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
Basic rule to remember - you don't get FSW and/or CRS points for any experience acquired before 10 years from today. CRS points max out at 3 years of experience. FSW points max out at 6+ years of experience (15 points) in the same NOC 0/A/B.

Any work experience beyond these limits need not be mentioned under Work history section. It will only lead to unnecessary documentation requirement.

glen222

Nov 4, 2015
Hello asivad avnac,

Hello there., I am in a bit of confusion here. When I applied for student visa my consultant showed 9 months of experience.
But when I came to Canada my employer was being nice and issued me 1 year experience letter, so except for study visa whenever I applied for off campus work permit, pgwp, and work visa I showed that 1 year as I had that experience letter on me.
But now my doubt is when I apply for PR, which experience should I mention. Should it be same as it was in student visa or should I continue mentioning 1 year as I have that letter.
Also I don't have paystubs for entire year. Have just for 9 months. What do I do. Please suggest

glen222

Nov 4, 2015
glen222 said:
Hello asivad avnac,

Hello there., I am in a bit of confusion here. When I applied for student visa my consultant showed 9 months of experience.
But when I came to Canada my employer was being nice and issued me 1 year experience letter, so except for study visa whenever I applied for off campus work permit, pgwp, and work visa I showed that 1 year as I had that experience letter on me.
But now my doubt is when I apply for PR, which experience should I mention. Should it be same as it was in student visa or should I continue mentioning 1 year as I have that letter.
Also I don't have paystubs for entire year. Have just for 9 months. What do I do. Please suggest
I made a very bad decision of going ahead and applying showing 1 year experience. But did not have paystubs and bank deposits to prove that. My file was refused because of insufficient documentation.

My question is can I apply again with 9 months experience(i won't have to provide any documentation as I won't get any points for that)... :( don't want to get banned. .please help

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glen222 said:
I made a very bad decision of going ahead and applying showing 1 year experience. But did not have paystubs and bank deposits to prove that. My file was refused because of insufficient documentation.

My question is can I apply again with 9 months experience(i won't have to provide any documentation as I won't get any points for that)... :( don't want to get banned. .please help
Paste the relevant portion of your refusal letter. It is never recommended to lie on your PR application.

LittleBeeInCanada

Sep 9, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
Basic rule to remember - you don't get FSW and/or CRS points for any experience acquired before 10 years from today. CRS points max out at 3 years of experience. FSW points max out at 6+ years of experience (15 points) in the same NOC 0/A/B.

Any work experience beyond these limits need not be mentioned under Work history section. It will only lead to unnecessary documentation requirement.
Yes, we have the certificate of incorporation.
We are CEC/PNP applicants, my husband has 2+ years of Canadian work experience.
My husband started working in the first company exactly 10 years ago. He was studying full time at that time. He already put this info in his previous applications for work permits, so we cannot just ignore it (

Thanks a lot for your help!

glen222

Nov 4, 2015
I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements under paragraph a) because you have not submitted sufficient evidence to satisfy me that you have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience, or the equivalent in continuous paid part-time work experience, in the occupation identified in your application.

glen222

Nov 4, 2015
a) within the ten years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa, they have accumulated at least one year of continuous full-time (30 hours/week) work experience, as described in subsection 73(1), or the equivalent in continuous part-time work, in the occupation identified in their application as their primary occupation, other than a restricted occupation, that is listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification

glen222

Nov 4, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Paste the relevant portion of your refusal letter. It is never recommended to lie on your PR application.
I made a very bad choice..I just want to state the truth and get out of this...what do I do

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LittleBeeInCanada said:
My husband started working in the first company exactly 10 years ago. He was studying full time at that time. He already put this info in his previous applications for work permits, so we cannot just ignore it (

Thanks a lot for your help!
Yes you can. PR application need not necessarily repeat/rehash every single information item from your previous applications. Only relevant information needs to be presented. Any foreign work experience beyond 3 years gives no additional CRS points. Any Canadian work experience beyond 2 years gives no additional CRS points.

All the best!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glen222 said:
I made a very bad choice..I just want to state the truth and get out of this...what do I do
Is this the ONLY work experience you have in NOC 0/A/B?

Harsha5877

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Yes you can. PR application need not necessarily repeat/rehash every single information item from your previous applications. Only relevant information needs to be presented. Any foreign work experience beyond 3 years gives no additional CRS points. Any Canadian work experience beyond 2 years gives no additional CRS points.

All the best!
Hi Asivad Anac,

Please advice.

I received my ITA on Jan 13th and now in the process of uploading documents. My work experience from my country is with a well known company. The company has provided reference letter with job duties and have mentioned that my position was permanent (no weekly hours mentioned). Also they have not mentioned by salary (company policy). I am planning to attach my form 16 (T4 equivalent) to substantiate my experience. Is this fine?

Cheers

glen222

Nov 4, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Is this the ONLY work experience you have in NOC 0/A/B?
I have Canadian 1 year experience too have all the documentation for that...like proper documents salary certificate paystubs t4... I was expecting to get it all under cec...but they gave ita under fsw...

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glen222 said:
I have Canadian 1 year experience too have all the documentation for that...like proper documents salary certificate paystubs t4... I was expecting to get it all under cec...but they gave ita under fsw...
Create a fresh EE profile without mentioning your foreign work experience so that the system grants you eligibility under CEC. This way, you are eliminating the foreign work experience completely from your next application.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Harsha5877 said:
Hi Asivad Anac,

Please advice.

I received my ITA on Jan 13th and now in the process of uploading documents. My work experience from my country is with a well known company. The company has provided reference letter with job duties and have mentioned that my position was permanent (no weekly hours mentioned). Also they have not mentioned by salary (company policy). I am planning to attach my form 16 (T4 equivalent) to substantiate my experience. Is this fine?

Cheers
Yes.