+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment letter

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

My letter of employment mentions my hire date, position, salary and says I worked there fulltime. It doesn't specify the exact hours. Would this be an issue?

Thanks.

SushilEE

Star Member
Feb 11, 2015
questionsasked said:
Hi,

My letter of employment mentions my hire date, position, salary and says I worked there fulltime. It doesn't specify the exact hours. Would this be an issue?

Thanks.
I think that should be alright coz many companies do not specifically write the hours. You pay stub should state the working days. So overall you are good.

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
velveteen said:
Hi,
Regarding hours, you should remember that CIC considers 30h/wk as full time employment (1560 hours/year), unlike many countries where it is 40h/wk (2080 hours/year). If you have more than 5 years work experience, it may not matter. But if you have less than 5 yrs, and you worked more than 30h/wk, not writing the exact hours will give you fewer experience points than what you are entitled to.

I'm planning on attaching my paystubs to the application, which clearly states the hours per week I've worked. Would that be sufficient? Also, my HR personnel didn't provide his email address. Would that be an issue? Should I attach his business card somewhere?

Not sure! Please help

staticdust

Mar 13, 2014
I have the same questions regarding the employment letter. I have 2 different jobs I'm getting letters for (and I'm claiming 2 years of work experience, one foreign, one in Canada). The current job is giving me everything I asked for except for the hours, but the previous job only gave me a bare letter with just my start and end date, and my department. It doesn't even state my position and salary. So I'm really worried about this. I'd gotten the letter from the University payroll department and now am trying to contact the actual department I worked at for another letter.

What do you think are the most important/minimum info we need to have on the letter?

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
velveteen said:
Hi,
Regarding hours, you should remember that CIC considers 30h/wk as full time employment (1560 hours/year), unlike many countries where it is 40h/wk (2080 hours/year). If you have more than 5 years work experience, it may not matter. But if you have less than 5 yrs, and you worked more than 30h/wk, not writing the exact hours will give you fewer experience points than what you are entitled to.
I was wondering if CIC considers the whole year or is it completely based on hours? I started working on the 15th of September last year and I should complete my 1 year period at the end of September 2015. I changed my job sometime in December and there were 10 days when I didn't work (between changing jobs). I am wondering if I should calculate my working hours before applying for EE FSW or just go ahead and apply as soon as I complete 1 year? I work 40 hr/w. Also, would appreciate if someone could shed some light on the way you should calculate your working hours? Do I just look at my pay stubs and calculate my working hours (irrespective of earned leaves etc)?

velveteen

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-15-2015
AOR Received.
11-15-2015
staticdust said:
I have the same questions regarding the employment letter. I have 2 different jobs I'm getting letters for (and I'm claiming 2 years of work experience, one foreign, one in Canada). The current job is giving me everything I asked for except for the hours, but the previous job only gave me a bare letter with just my start and end date, and my department. It doesn't even state my position and salary. So I'm really worried about this. I'd gotten the letter from the University payroll department and now am trying to contact the actual department I worked at for another letter.

What do you think are the most important/minimum info we need to have on the letter?
Hi,
If you worked with a professor/supervisor, you can get a reference letter directly from him/her. Most faculty can issue letters on University and Department letterheads. You could give them the detail of your job duties, and request to include all the information as required by CIC. Also, if you tell them that you need it for immigration purposes, they tend to be sympathetic and would try to oblige.
Hope this helps!

velveteen

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-15-2015
AOR Received.
11-15-2015
@ kaulvirus
@ questionsasked

From CIC website:
"Proof of Work Experience
Purpose

To prove each work experience claim and to validate that the applicant meets program requirements

Document requirements

The personalized document checklist in MyCIC prompts the applicant with an upload field for each work experience declared.
At completeness check, the processing office only determines whether the required documents are included. The validity or fraudulence of the information is assessed only if and when the application is placed into processing.
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

a reference or experience letter from the employer
should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant's name, the company's contact information [address, telephone number and e-mail address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company);
should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.
if the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips, Notices of Assessment (NOA) and Option C printouts issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe, e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years).
if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income, and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
Individuals who must submit this documentation

The principal applicant
Their spouse or common-law partner (if work experience in Canada is claimed)"

@ questionsasked
As long as your paystubs support the number of hours/week that you reported, that should work. Please do attach the business card as CIC needs the contact info. Again, you want to include all the info requested.

@ kaulvirus
The current EE system counts experience from month to month. You enter the start month and end month of your job, and the hours/week. Not sure about leave periods.

Hope this helps!

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
velveteen said:
@ kaulvirus
@ questionsasked

From CIC website:
"Proof of Work Experience
Purpose

To prove each work experience claim and to validate that the applicant meets program requirements

Document requirements

The personalized document checklist in MyCIC prompts the applicant with an upload field for each work experience declared.
At completeness check, the processing office only determines whether the required documents are included. The validity or fraudulence of the information is assessed only if and when the application is placed into processing.
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

a reference or experience letter from the employer
should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant's name, the company's contact information [address, telephone number and e-mail address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company);
should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.
if the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips, Notices of Assessment (NOA) and Option C printouts issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe, e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years).
if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income, and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
Individuals who must submit this documentation

The principal applicant
Their spouse or common-law partner (if work experience in Canada is claimed)"

@ questionsasked
As long as your paystubs support the number of hours/week that you reported, that should work. Please do attach the business card as CIC needs the contact info. Again, you want to include all the info requested.

@ kaulvirus
The current EE system counts experience from month to month. You enter the start month and end month of your job, and the hours/week. If you worked more than 30h/week, most likely you would complete your 1560 hours before the 1 calendar year. Not sure about leave periods.

Hope this helps!
It Does, excellent.

Thanks a tonne.

ziffyasif

Star Member
May 3, 2015
Ghaziabad
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2174 - Software Game Developer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2017
Nomination.....
04-12-2016
Do we need to provide reference letters for all the jobs mentioned in the application or just 3 yrs which count towards the score?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ziffyasif said:
Do we need to provide reference letters for all the jobs mentioned in the application or just 3 yrs which count towards the score?
For all the jobs you've included in the application. Of course, you can choose to include only those jobs which give you CRS points and FSWP eligibility points and leave out the other jobs. In that case, you won't have to provide any reference for the jobs that you've left out.

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
velveteen said:
Hi,
If you worked with a professor/supervisor, you can get a reference letter directly from him/her. Most faculty can issue letters on University and Department letterheads. You could give them the detail of your job duties, and request to include all the information as required by CIC. Also, if you tell them that you need it for immigration purposes, they tend to be sympathetic and would try to oblige.
Hope this helps!

Honestly, that's not true. I work at the University and when it comes to immigration matters the supervisors and professors ask you to consult with HR because they're afraid to say or write something in the reference letter which might work against the institution. So bigger institutions are very hardcore about their process especially when it comes to immigration to control how much information is being given out and how. On the flip side, getting reference letters for grad school was a piece of cake.

Pkk1980

Jun 14, 2017
Hi I have worked in multiple locations in previous organisations .I was on deputation in one of the companies but my base was India and I was getting India Salary and US Perdiems ...Do I need to mention both separately in employement details or only Base location is fine ?I really appreciate the answer