+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer specific work permit to Open work permit and NOC

Cityboy350

Jan 23, 2022
Hi, I am holding employer specific work permit with LMIA and working for past 8 months. Company lost license and now they are going to shut down. Can I look for another job offer and submit new Open work permit application in a different NOC? I still have a validity of 16 months on current work permit. Humbly seeking for guidance. Thanks in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I am holding employer specific work permit with LMIA and working for past 8 months. Company lost license and now they are going to shut down. Can I look for another job offer and submit new Open work permit application in a different NOC? I still have a validity of 16 months on current work permit. Humbly seeking for guidance. Thanks in advance.
You need a new LMIA and closed work permit. Your current permit is tied to your past employer.

Reactions: Cityboy350

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on the very limited information you have provided, you do not qualify for an open work permit. The only option, as said above, would be to find a new employer and have that employer go through the LMIA process so that you can then apply for a new closed work permit.

Are there any further details to your profile that you have left out that might change that answer? Have you applied for PR by any chance? If so, through which program and what is the status of your application at this time? Do you have a common law partner or spouse in Canada? If so, what is their status in Canada?

Reactions: Cityboy350

Cityboy350

Jan 23, 2022
Based on the very limited information you have provided, you do not qualify for an open work permit. The only option, as said above, would be to find a new employer and have that employer go through the LMIA process so that you can then apply for a new closed work permit.

Are there any further details to your profile that you have left out that might change that answer? Have you applied for PR by any chance? If so, through which program and what is the status of your application at this time? Do you have a common law partner or spouse in Canada? If so, what is their status in Canada?
Sorry that I was confuse if that would become unnecessary/useless if I provide more. Now that I feel it is needed. I haven't applied for PR but my spouse's open work permit application and my children's student and temporary resident visas are in final review (Medical accepted by IRCC). To clarify more about the situation happened in my company due to an industrial accident and they lost the license. Now after witnessing the tragedy that some of my colleagues went through I feel scared while thinking of the same work. My company said they will provide all the support. I have counselling help but no help related to my job yet, which I hope I might get at some point. From yesterday some how I feel like I am trapped in an island and I have to move forward for my family. Sorry if I have said too much than required but it means a lot from you guys.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry that I was confused if that would become unnecessary/useless if I provide more. Now that I feel it is needed. I haven't applied for PR but my spouse's open work permit application and my children's student and temporary resident visas are in final review (Medical accepted by IRCC). To clarify more about the situation happened in my company due to an industrial accident and they lost the license. Now after witnessing the tragedy that some of my colleagues went through I feel scared while thinking of the same work. My company said they will provide all the support. I have counselling help but no help related to my job yet, which I hope I might get at some point. From yesterday some how I feel like I am trapped in an island and I have to move forward for my family. Sorry if I have said too much than required but it means a lot from you guys.
Unfortunately the only option I see for you right now is to find a new employer who is willing to give you a job offer and obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit linked to that new employer.

Unfortunately I don't see any options for you to obtain an open work permit.

Cityboy350

Jan 23, 2022
Unfortunately the only option I see for you right now is to find a new employer who is willing to give you a job offer and obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit linked to that new employer.

Unfortunately I don't see any options for you to obtain an open work permit.
Thank you. I appreciate you showing me the direction. I will work on that.