+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer refused to provide Reference letter with Job duties, any alternative ?

HarrySingh

Jan 2, 2013
What are my alternatives in case: my employer is not providing me Letter with duties on it, they say I will get experience letter once I decided to leave the company and it will be in their standard format.
Below is my situation:
1. My supervisor can give me his reference letter stating duties I performed while in Canada with his contact details, but he cannot use Company letter head. Only corporate HRs can use letter heads.
2. I am working with this company since 2007 and it is my first JOB, it Is a multinational company.
3. I came in Canada closed work permit with a positive LMO (No study in Canada) and my visa states my Occupation clearly (my occupation is under Skill Level-A of NOC-2011)
4. I have every reference letter with information like salary and benefits, working hours , earned leave policy, period of stay and off course my Pay stubs and T4 (Only Duties is missing sad part)
Any Help is appreciated

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
I am in same situation. Any thoughts what can be done in this situation ?

Thank you!!

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
Attach all the docs that you can gather to evidence your work exp. - Reference letter (in this case without Duties), T4, NOA, Pay Stubs, Work Contract, Petition, Offer letter and preferably even the bank statement (to show your salary credit). Also attach a copy of the mail or letter that you have received from your employer stating that they cannot include duties in the reference letter.

Detail all the duties on a plain paper yourself. Write an explanation of your situation addressed to the CIC as a covering letter and keep your fingers crossed.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
But do take note that applications are being returned for not confirming to the details required in the Reference letter (missing Duties the prime reason). You can only hope that your application reaches the safe hands of an Officer who understands your situation.

HarrySingh

Jan 2, 2013
My supervisor can give me his reference letter stating duties I performed while in Canada with his contact details..
Will that helps ?

sabidhawan

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
HI Guys,

My application was rejected for the same reason . I use to work for Rogers and Bell and both just gave me a regular letter but did not mentioned my duties . I had to actually switch job wait for an year and applied again . I would suggest you to talk to a lawyer as they should be providing you with the letter.

pandiyanmaya

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Dec-2012
AOR Received.
01-Feb-2013
Try to attach all following documents,

1) Deputation letter
2) Appraisal letter
3) T4 and NOA
4) Recent Payslip's
5) Reference letter from Manager [IF possible get his business card and attach it with letter] , Don't forget to include his contact number and email id
6) if possible submit the documents your employer has submitted to extended your work permit , these documents will have your NOC and "Roles & responsibilities ".

Write a covering letter stating you are keeping these documents as substitute as employer is not ready to provide the letter.

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All you need to do is to ask your employer to provide you with a job description for the position you held with them. You can then enclose this job description along with the employment letter that states your job title, salary and duration of employment.

Along with the above, you will need to write a letter addressed to CIC explaining that your employer refused to provide job duties, hence the attachment of your job description. This is 100% acceptable by CIC.

Good luck.

HarrySingh

Jan 2, 2013
If I need to get Job Descriptions only, than that is just written clearly on my Work permit and my work permit is renewed once

Both the copies of Work permit has Occupation Description and Name of My company printed on it.

It says:
Employer : My company Name Registered in Canada

Also says:
1. Unless authorized Prohibited from Attending any Educational Institution and taking any academic or professional Training
2. Not authorized to work in any other occupation other than stated
3. Not authorized to work with any other employer other than stated
4. Must leave Canada on Exp Date of Work permit.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
Harry,
Your job category mentioned on work permit will not help. You will need detailed Duties and Responsibilities to be included by your employer in the Reference Letter.

HarrySingh

Jan 2, 2013
IS there any reason why Occupation on Work permit will not work.

I can make out one thing that someone can say that Work permit states all at the start of your JOB, but what is the surety that I was working on same JOB or doing clerical work.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
Please note that CEC takes into account Canadian work experience acquired and not just stated.
You will have to convince CIC that you have worked in relation to a particular NOC code and performed duties as per the job category.

CIC needs the detailed JD and it is mandatory. You have no other option under CEC.

Reactions: adityabharadwaj999

y67zhang

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
AOR Received.
21-1-2013
Med's Request
13-11-2013
Med's Done....
14-11-2013
Passport Req..
02-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2013 (received on the 18th)
LANDED..........
23-12-2013
Harry, I was rejected in my initial application for this reason. Companies normally do not give out letters stating job duties unless asked. In this case, you could have your supervisor or manager write a letter for this purpose and include their contact info. Attach your employment contract if it states your duties. I would bring your contract to HR and ask why they can't give out duties and possibly have your supervisor/manager back you up. Work permit in this case will NOT suffice.

srionline117

Star Member
Dec 9, 2012
Hello Andy and Forum Members,

Have a query. Please advise.

I work for an Indian IT company in Canada. Came here on a closed work permit. We have HR & Immigration dept in Canada for my company. But, our head office or the HR who issued offer letter etc., is in India. Canada HR refused to give reference letter for applying Canada PR. Somehow, I managed to get a letter (by saying I need it for some Insurance purpose) with needed 4 things (role, salary in CAD, duties/responsibilities, 40 hrs/week) on Company letter head with India HR signature. At end of the letter, HR mentioned a statement as "This letter is issued for the purpose of Insurance in Canada". The HR has a condition that without mentioning a purpose they cannot issue any letter.

Now, can I just use that original letter ONLY for applying PR under CEC? Will that suffice ? Or I must have an employer reference letter issued by Canada HR because I am working in Canada?

Appreciate your valuable suggestion as its VERY VERY important.

Thanks for your time.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
srionline117,

where do you get your salary from ? who issues you a pay stub ?