+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Letter for visitor visa

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello members,

I am in Canada on a PGWP and my spouse is back home and she is unemployed. I was applying for my spouse's visitor visa through the new portal and in the optional supporting documents section, there is a section to upload with the title "Employer letter (current)", and in the details it says:
"A copy of a letter from the employer in Canada. This letter must state that the company will hire you to work in Canada for a specific period of time.​
The letter must be printed on the company's official letterhead and include your name, the details of your employment in Canada, and the company's contact information."​

Is this where i upload my employment letter or my spouse's (she is unemployed)?
Has anyone applied for their spouse's visitor visa (not the SOWP)?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you all for your time in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello members,

I am in Canada on a PGWP and my spouse is back home and she is unemployed. I was applying for my spouse's visitor visa through the new portal and in the optional supporting documents section, there is a section to upload with the title "Employer letter (current)", and in the details it says:
"A copy of a letter from the employer in Canada. This letter must state that the company will hire you to work in Canada for a specific period of time.​
The letter must be printed on the company's official letterhead and include your name, the details of your employment in Canada, and the company's contact information."​

Is this where i upload my employment letter or my spouse's (she is unemployed)?
Has anyone applied for their spouse's visitor visa (not the SOWP)?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you all for your time in advance.
If you wife is unemployed what are her ties showing that she will return home and that she is truly a visitor and doesn’t plan on remaining in Canada? If she is planning on remaining in Canada she should apply for an OWP even if she doesn’t intend to work.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
If you wife is unemployed what are her ties showing that she will return home and that she is truly a visitor and doesn’t plan on remaining in Canada? If she is planning on remaining in Canada she should apply for an OWP even if she doesn’t intend to work.
Hi! I know that she doesn’t have strong home ties as she is currently unemployed. My PGWP is expiring in less than a year and the processing time is almost 67 weeks and its possible that it might not process within the time period eventually getting declined, thats why i was considering applying for her visitor visa.
Also, is having an employment also not a strong factor in getting SOWP approved? Has there been cases where SOWP is approved when spouse is not working ?
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! I know that she doesn’t have strong home ties as she is currently unemployed. My PGWP is expiring in less than a year and the processing time is almost 67 weeks and its possible that it might not process within the time period eventually getting declined, thats why i was considering applying for her visitor visa.
Also, is having an employment also not a strong factor in getting SOWP approved? Has there been cases where SOWP is approved when spouse is not working ?
Thank you
Lots of cases of OWP being approved when spouse is not working and has no plans on working. There is no requirement to work on an open work permit but it gives you status in Canada. When did you get married? If fairly recent how much time have you spent in person after getting married? If she wants to relocate to Canada then she will likely keep getting denied the TRV which is why it would probably be best to start the OWP process. Posted processing times are often not correct so would not focus too much on posted processing times although it will likely take months to get a response about the OWP. Will you qualify to apply for PR during the next year?

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Lots of cases of OWP being approved when spouse is not working and has no plans on working. There is no requirement to work on an open work permit but it gives you status in Canada. When did you get married? If fairly recent how much time have you spent in person after getting married? If she wants to relocate to Canada then she will likely keep getting denied the TRV which is why it would probably be best to start the OWP process. Posted processing times are often not correct so would not focus too much on posted processing times although it will likely take months to get a response about the OWP. Will you qualify to apply for PR during the next year?
We got married in Dec 2022 but have been engaged since Jan 2021. We spent almost a month together after marriage and visited Dubai for honeymoon.
Yes i will qualify to enter the pool by this year July but not sure when i will get ITA as my CRS score would come around ~480. My PGWP is expiring in Jan 2024. If i go for SOWP it might be issued in July and would only be valid till Jan 2024 (same as my PGWP validity) almost 6 months and then i would have to apply again (maybe visitor visa).I am really lost at what i should proceed with. Please guide me on whats the best strategy for me.
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We got married in Dec 2022 but have been engaged since Jan 2021. We spent almost a month together after marriage and visited Dubai for honeymoon.
Yes i will qualify to enter the pool by this year July but not sure when i will get ITA as my CRS score would come around ~480. My PGWP is expiring in Jan 2024. If i go for SOWP it might be issued in July and would only be valid till Jan 2024 (same as my PGWP validity) almost 6 months and then i would have to apply again (maybe visitor visa).I am really lost at what i should proceed with. Please guide me on whats the best strategy for me.
Thank you
Being newly married can lead to higher rate of refusal of bothTRVs and OWPs since this is the way some people try to commit immigration fraud. The fact that you were engaged for a year and that you spent a month together may help. If you just got married and spent a month together It will be quite difficult to prove that your spouse only wants to visit you and has no plans on remaining in Canada. The fact that she is unemployed only creates more doubt that she is truly a visitor. Would suggest applying for the OWP. You have enough time to apply for the OWP. You can technically apply for both at the same time if you want. Has your spouse travelled to countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc? Was she employed before she got married? How much personal funds can she show?

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Being newly married can lead to higher rate of refusal of bothTRVs and OWPs since this is the way some people try to commit immigration fraud. The fact that you were engaged for a year and that you spent a month together may help. If you just got married and spent a month together It will be quite difficult to prove that your spouse only wants to visit you and has no plans on remaining in Canada. The fact that she is unemployed only creates more doubt that she is truly a visitor. Would suggest applying for the OWP. You have enough time to apply for the OWP. You can technically apply for both at the same time if you want. Has your spouse travelled to countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc? Was she employed before she got married? How much personal funds can she show?
Spouse hasn’t travelled to anywhere other than Dubai (we went for honeymoon together) and was never employed but did some internships though. She doesn’t have any personal fund to show but we opened a joint bank account after getting married but not much funds there. I can get an account maintenance letter for it though. To show POF i can attach my bank account statement of around CAD$ 20k.
what do you think?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Spouse hasn’t travelled to anywhere other than Dubai (we went for honeymoon together) and was never employed but did some internships though. She doesn’t have any personal fund to show but we opened a joint bank account after getting married but not much funds there. I can get an account maintenance letter for it though. To show POF i can attach my bank account statement of around CAD$ 20k.
what do you think?
Think it will likely be difficult to get a TRV. You can certainly try but would focus on the OWP. Even that isn’t guaranteed but you have a better chance of OWP approval.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Think it will likely be difficult to get a TRV. You can certainly try but would focus on the OWP. Even that isn’t guaranteed but you have a better chance of OWP approval.
Thank you ! For SOWP, what documents are required for her and should i ask her to get an upfront medical or wait for the medical request? Also, can these medical results be reused when i applying for PR later ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you ! For SOWP, what documents are required for her and should i ask her to get an upfront medical or wait for the medical request? Also, can these medical results be reused when i applying for PR later ?
Would look at the application for documents required. If you want to try and use the medical for PR would not do upfront medical because medical is only valid for a year.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Would look at the application for documents required. If you want to try and use the medical for PR would not do upfront medical because medical is only valid for a year.
Thank you soo much for your guidance ! I will definitely consider it

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
One more question, does the medical has to be valid till we get ECOPR or until ITA is received?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One more question, does the medical has to be valid till we get ECOPR or until ITA is received?
Yes it needs to be valid until COPR. The expiry date of your COPR (so the date before which you must land) is usually one year past your medical.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Yes it needs to be valid until COPR. The expiry date of your COPR (so the date before which you must land) is usually one year past your medical.
So what if the medical expires while the profile is in the EE pool? Do we have to retake the medical and update the profile ?