+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer didn't registered sin number

Nov 4, 2017
Hi guys, I was "hired" by a restaurant that they asked me my sin number and passport (I have study visa). They pay me in every 2 weeks. I worked 1 month below the 20/h week and 2 weeks full time (I had a schedule break). The last two weeks they had a big event and they paid me 15 dolars per hour for 20h/week. All payments were made though company check. I never received a paystub so i ask them about this and they said "sorry, but so far i haven't used your sin number yet because of accountability problems". Now the checks are in my account and it's a regular check with no hours of work or whatsoever, just the amount. In other words I'm not a employees but a self-employed. I got mad and I went out of this job. Now I have to declare this values, right ? Anyone had the same situation? Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys, I was "hired" by a restaurant that they asked me my sin number and passport (I have study visa). They pay me in every 2 weeks. I worked 1 month below the 20/h week and 2 weeks full time (I had a schedule break). The last two weeks they had a big event and they paid me 15 dolars per hour for 20h/week. All payments were made though company check. I never received a paystub so i ask them about this and they said "sorry, but so far i haven't used your sin number yet because of accountability problems". Now the checks are in my account and it's a regular check with no hours of work or whatsoever, just the amount. In other words I'm not a employees but a self-employed. I got mad and I went out of this job. Now I have to declare this values, right ? Anyone had the same situation? Thanks.
Hi

Assuming you were working a standard restaurant job like a server/cook/dishwasher/etc., you were an employee, not self-employed. Report your employer https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/informant-leads-program.html.

You will not be penalized as long as you declare the income when you file for 2017 (I believe it would be declared in the "Other income" field but check with CRA); you will need to attach an additional sheet explaining the situation. Depending on your total 2017 income, you may not even owe taxes on this income.

Reactions: MapleLeafsRaptors
Nov 4, 2017
Hi

Assuming you were working a standard restaurant job like a server/cook/dishwasher/etc., you were an employee, not self-employed. Report your employer https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/informant-leads-program.html.

You will not be penalized as long as you declare the income when you file for 2017 (I believe it would be declared in the "Other income" field but check with CRA); you will need to attach an additional sheet explaining the situation. Depending on your total 2017 income, you may not even owe taxes on this income.
OMG thank you very much. I will declare because I want to stay here and I think that it helps me to have a good record, right ?

I was so afraid to be deported or something like this because of this... I want to do things right !