4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Curious.

I always found the cost of things in Canada to be lower (relative to income) than in Europe. Take an example among many possible examples). I bought lunch in a British pub. I paid as much for a bland sandwich with white bread (not even the crusty baguette one gets as an option in Canadian sandwich shops) for as much as I paid for a full-course meal in Canada. I can get a wrap for around $3 in Canada; in England it would be at least 3 pounds. When I asked Brits about their income levels to pay for these expensive items, the incomes seemed comparable to Canadian levels (adjusting for the currency exchange rates).

As I recall, the annual Mercer survey of the cost of living in major cities around the world ranks most Canadian cities lower (in cost) than many European cities.

So where does the impression that Canada is expensive with low incomes come from? Perhaps this is an impresson based on immigrants' difficulty finding jobs commensurate with their education and work experience back home?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have found that some things are cheaper, some are more expensive. Eating out I think is less expensive in Canada but buying food at the grocery store like where I have been in Germany seems to be cheaper. Petrol is more expensive in Europe but then again public transport is usually better than in Canada so you may not need a car. Rent is probably the biggest expense for most people and that depends completely on the city, whether in Europe or Canada.

tunnytox

Mar 27, 2009
toby said:
Curious.

I always found the cost of things in Canada to be lower (relative to income) than in Europe. Take an example among many possible examples). I bought lunch in a British pub. I paid as much for a bland sandwich with white bread (not even the crusty baguette one gets as an option in Canadian sandwich shops) for as much as I paid for a full-course meal in Canada. I can get a wrap for around $3 in Canada; in England it would be at least 3 pounds. When I asked Brits about their income levels to pay for these expensive items, the incomes seemed comparable to Canadian levels (adjusting for the currency exchange rates).

As I recall, the annual Mercer survey of the cost of living in major cities around the world ranks most Canadian cities lower (in cost) than many European cities.

So where does the impression that Canada is expensive with low incomes come from? Perhaps this is an impresson based on immigrants' difficulty finding jobs commensurate with their education and work experience back home?
It depends on which city in England you are refering to I live in Manchester and things are relatively cheaper, you can rent a 2-3 bedroom house in Manchester for £500 whereas in most Canadian cities this wil cost more than $1000. Also with any average surviving job (like administrators, Healthcare assistant or security) in Many English cities except London you can earn as much as £1200 per month after tax. As far s I know most of these jobs can hardly fetch you more than $1600 per month in Canada. I will want you to please throw more light into this because except one is lucky it takes time to settle in Canada and to be able to get the type of job that is commensurate with your qualification.
Like I said earlier I may be wrong because I didn't spend much time in Canada to judge things by myself but how I think things compare per month for a family of 4 are as follows:
Canada UK

Rent $1000 £500
Telephone/broadband/TV $100 £30
Car Insurance $200 £80
Petrol $250 £90
Groceries $200 £90
Mobile phone (up to 500mins each) $100 £30 (no receiving charges)
Utilities (I have no figure for canada) £100
Council Tax " £100
Residential parking fee $90 £0

Please correct me if I'm wrong.... but this is how far I can compare

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think $200 in groceries for a family of 4 is a low estimate but depends on what you eat.

Electricity for a family in a house could easily be $100 a month but heating is often included in the rent. If you had to pay for it, easily another $100 a month on average or more, lower in summer, higher in winter.

Petrol costs obviously depend on how much you drive, how far away from work you live, do you drive your kids everywhere, do you drive everywhere yourself etc.

If you live in a house, you normally don't pay a parking fee as you have a garage or a driveway to park in. Even if you are renting an apartment, you often have a free parking space that comes with it.

tunnytox

Mar 27, 2009
You are right that my estimate for groceries are inadequate, I wasn't considering the amount that will usually be spent on African/Asian food by immigrants from Africa/Asia which is likely to be up to another $150-$200. Concerning parking may be most apartments far away from the downtown area could be offering free parking but I found out that most apartment in Toronto will charge you for parking. Renting a house is an additional cost as you'll have to pay for electricity and water as well although the parking is free.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like quite a few things are comparable between the UK and Canada. I would not compare Toronto with Manchester though, the comparison should be more like Toronto V London. Things that looks out of whack in Canada are tel/broadband/cable/wireless. These services should not be affected much by location like rent or car insurance.
I live in the US and it seems in every category on average we come out ahead. Car insurance and petrol prices are just way too expensive in Canada. Petrol price in Canada cost 30cents more per liter than in the US on average.

¬m2l

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I currently reside in Vancouver. One of the most expensive places to live in the World.

Vancouver is a major international city so I will compare it to London.

The wages are far lower but so is the cost of living. Pound per dollar Vancouver is well cheaper than London.

Maybe living in other Counties in the UK, Vancouver would seem expensive but then again, most other Counties in the UK would not be the paradise that Vancouver is.

Cost of living v standard of living?

No comparison to the UK.....Canada wins hands down.