+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for 3 yr work visa after 2yr full time course in a community college

karvar2

Sep 11, 2014
Hi I am an Indian having a 4yr BTech Engineering degree (IT) in a good university with distinction. And I also have a work experience of 4.5 years in a leading Software product company as a developer in India. I am looking for a cheapest means to study in Canada. I understand that community colleges offer low cost 2yr diploma courses. I am also looking forward to work in Canada for 3 yrs after completion of the course and apply for a PR if I like it there and if everything goes fine. Will I be eligible to apply for "post-graduation work permit"?

I have narrowed down to one such college. Below are the details:
1. It is a computer diploma course consisting of 1 yr study and 1 yr full time co-op. I liked the co-op part of it.
2. Intakes are almost in every month unlike universities that take students only during fall or spring. I have to start my studies as soon as possible due to personal reasons. So no time to wait.
3. It is a fully accredited private college and is listed under DLI (Designated Learning Institution) in cic.gc.ca.
4. They only ask for IELTS score of 5.5 or they have their own English assessment test which is too simple.

Is community college diploma taken into account as a 2yr (1 yr course and 1 yr co-op) full time study? If so will I get 3 yr work permit for this course or just 1 year since 1 yr of course is co-op?

I emailed a marketing person in college, and he said "student is not eligible for the Canadian 3 year work permit visa after complete our diploma program, but can have 1 year co-op work permit." Not sure if he is aware of that information or I am missing something here. As far as I googled, it is enough to pursue any 2 yr full time course to apply for 3 yr "post-graduation work permit".

The cic website (english/study/work-postgrad.asp) says "The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution". Does it mean, I need to get a post graduation degree or an Adv. diploma only then I am eligible for the work visa?

One reason for so many doubts about this college is that everything seems too easy here. Please help and let me know if you need more information. Thanks in Advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Programs at private colleges often don't qualify for off campus work permits or post graduate work permits. It's generally recommended that students stay away from private colleges since they offer a very poor level of education and generally have very bad reputations among employers in Canada (also lower study permit approval rates).

Based on the information provided to you by the school, the program you're looking at won't qualify for a PGWP.

Pick a public college instead.

karvar2

Sep 11, 2014
Hi scylla,

Thank you for the quick reply. I was not aware of that information. I thought private colleges also qualify for PGWP. I will look into some public colleges and get back.

karvar2

Sep 11, 2014
Hi I have looked into some options and narrowed down to Computer Programmer 2 yr diploma in Georgian College, Barrie. It has mandatory co-op included within the 2 year term which I think is great (Any thoughts?). It is close to Toronto which is also good. There is a 2017 Winter intake (January) for which the admission are still open for this course. what are my odds of getting an admission and joining the course in 2017 January intake? Do you think I can make it? I have not given my Eng Prof Test yet.

And Is a diploma course considered post secondary level? Or do I have to look only for adv diploma or PG diploma ? is that not an important factor in getting the 3 yr work permit?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
karvar2 said:
The cic website (english/study/work-postgrad.asp) says "The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution". Does it mean, I need to get a post graduation degree or an Adv. diploma only then I am eligible for the work visa?
Regarding your topic title, the link you supplied also says:

"A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program"

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
karvar2 said:
Hi I have looked into some options and narrowed down to Computer Programmer 2 yr diploma in Georgian College, Barrie. It has mandatory co-op included within the 2 year term which I think is great (Any thoughts?). It is close to Toronto which is also good. There is a 2017 Winter intake (January) for which the admission are still open for this course. what are my odds of getting an admission and joining the course in 2017 January intake? Do you think I can make it? I have not given my Eng Prof Test yet.

And Is a diploma course considered post secondary level? Or do I have to look only for adv diploma or PG diploma ? is that not an important factor in getting the 3 yr work permit?
ok but in your original post you said that you have 4.5 years working for a SW company as a developer so how will you persuade immigration that as you are already a developer that a programmer course will better that and not just repeat what you have experience in ? Immigration specifically look at current qualifications, work experience and the relevance of any planned course not some random course just to lead to a PGWP.

Maybe you can differentiate your developer experience to show this programmer course will add significantly to your career aspirations ?

karvar2

Sep 11, 2014
Hey guys,

Thanks for the answers. I now understand there is a high chance of VISA rejection if the course in not PG in my case. :)