+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronic Travel Authorization & Bridging Open Work Permits

chevalcriostoir

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
I'm re-posting this as I haven't got an answer from anyone… or from IRCC on this one.

I have a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). It was issued Summer 2016.
Does it have an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) tied to it already or do I need to apply separately?

IRCC's site says all work & study permits since 2015 have ETAs tied to them, except for extensions…
…are BOWPs new work permits, or extensions of the previous ones is what this hangs on…

Anybody with answer out there?

Please and thanks,

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
chevalcriostoir said:
I'm re-posting this as I haven't got an answer from anyone… or from IRCC on this one.

Does it have an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) tied to it already or do I need to apply separately?

IRCC's site says all work & study permits since 2015 have ETAs tied to them, except for extensions…
…are BOWPs new work permits, or extensions of the previous ones is what this hangs on…

Please and thanks,
I would call CIC help center and ask (although they frequently deliver incorrect information unfortunately), but it makes sense that ETA is not tied to WP extension (including BOWP) as word "extension" implies that you are already in Canada (BOWP actually requires it) and therefore no ETA is required.

omarimam

Apr 11, 2016
Ottawa-Ontario
NOC Code......
chevalcriostoir said:

Please and thanks,
Are you a visa-exempt foreign national? what is your nationality?

Thanks

chevalcriostoir

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
The call centre didn't have an answer for me when I called :,(
I emailed them as well… still waiting for a reply (if I get one…)

Is the BOWP considered an extension of the last work permit you got though… I'm not sure about that one, as it's dependent on a PR application in process.

If I don't get an answer before I leave, I'm literally going to ask the CBSA people in the airport when I'm flying out! :D

I guess nobody with a BOWP has flown since this ETA became compulsory so there's no stories to tell yet.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
chevalcriostoir said:
The call centre didn't have an answer for me when I called :,(
I emailed them as well… still waiting for a reply (if I get one…)

Is the BOWP considered an extension of the last work permit you got though… I'm not sure about that one, as it's dependent on a PR application in process.

If I don't get an answer before I leave, I'm literally going to ask the CBSA people in the airport when I'm flying out! :D

I guess nobody with a BOWP has flown since this ETA became compulsory so there's no stories to tell yet.
Hi,
apply for eTA and you don't need to ask anyone. The cost is 7 CAD.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
chevalcriostoir said:
I'm aware of the cost. I don't want to have to apply if I don't have to get one.
Yes, I know what you mean, but I personally know a case where two passengers were not able to get into the plane without the e-TA (ICT holders) even when they were told 'not needed' before the flight. Long story short, they had to do e-TA at the airport on their way back. Wish you good luck.