+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE applied as CEC need AOR for BOWP - PGWP exp. August

whitenoise23

Mar 30, 2015
Background/Sob story - Skip this part if you don't care
I am in Canada on a Post-Graduation Work Permit(PGWP) which I received in August of 2012. It expires mid-August 2015. I started my Canadian Experience Class(CEC) application for PR at the end of 2013. In early 2014, ready with all of my paperwork together ready to submit, I went to consult with a lawyer who informed me that the work experience requirements had changed without notice (they didn't update the website) and I was ineligible. I had the 1950 hours of work experience, but now it was required that I have 30 hours per week for 52 weeks and I had a 25 hour per week job. I picked up extra employment and had already been doing some extra things, increased my hours at my main job.. etc. I was ready to apply by that fall and submitted my application via mail in November. I was one of those who got duped by the fact that CIC didn't update their quota numbers on the website (it showed thousands of spots left when in fact it had already been full for over a month). So, in February I got a rejection letter and of course in January the Express Entry system had gone into place.

Background more relevant to the question at hand
I filled out an EE profile and received an ITA in April (507 points). I applied on June 8th because there were a few loose ends due to the difficulty of my application process (I now had to get a medical exam before rather than after applying, I needed to reapply for police clearances that expired, I needed to get new pictures, update work letters, etc.) Now I am waiting for an Acknowledgement of receipt(AOR), the official one not the automatic one. I need that AOR to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit(BOWP) because my PGWP expires on August 14th. Things are getting close to the wire and I'm starting to get nervous.

The actual questions

How long has the AOR generally been taking for people who applied for EE under CEC? I have seen some variance and the CIC phone people told me it could take up to 18 weeks from my application date, which would put things in October.

I'm planning on applying for a NAFTA work permit as a backup plan (my work includes vocational counseling and I'm American) but that process costs another $400 and I'm not made of money. My lawyer also suggested a hail mary maneuver of applying for the BOWP on paper with my PR application number in the spot where I'm supposed to include info about my AOR and hoping I get that before they process it, which he described as "very precarious and risky". I guess the other option is to quit my job?

Any help would be most appreciated. I feel like I'm trapped in some Kafakaeque alphabet soup of bureaucracy :-X. Good luck everyone!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
whitenoise23 said:
How long has the AOR generally been taking for people who applied for EE under CEC? I have seen some variance and the CIC phone people told me it could take up to 18 weeks from my application date, which would put things in October.
It's taking 2-3 months.

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
Not everyone is getting a second AOR, in fact the majority of people (certainly inside Canada) don't seem to get one. People have applied after only receiving the 1st AOR and gotten their BOWP but it is no guarantee that you will get it, it seems to depend if the officer examining your file has updated your file to say all docs have been received.

And you're right, CIC are a bureaucratic nightmare, nothing is straightforward with them. How is it that the old system was so much faster to assess an application for completeness

whitenoise23

Mar 30, 2015
Thanks. There are 67 days between my application submission and my PGWP expiration. I guess I'll be holding my breath.

whitenoise23

Mar 30, 2015
Conor9900 - My lawyer advised that I need to wait for the 2nd AOR. I guess there is a difference between a "notice" and a "letter" form of AOR. The notice is the electronic automatic AOR and the letter is something else.

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
Well your lawyer is right in that the 1st automatic AOR is basically useless when it comes to your BOWP, but you could be waiting for something that's never going to arrive in the 2nd AOR. It just depends how far along your application is with CIC, (ie. have they checked it for completeness). A member of this forum (esantos if you want to search and contact him) did the maneuver of sending the paper app for BOWP then applying for residency and he got his BOWP, so they seemed to check his app for completeness a lot quicker than 2-3 months. But of course, as your lawyer says, this is very risky and probably just as likely to not be successful

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
I don't think so (obviously I'm just speculating like everyone else on this site based on what I've seen from other applicants), with most people, review of eligibility only changes to "passed" once the process is over, if it does at all. People usually seem to get their passport request while this is still "Review in Progress". Again, just what I've seen and there are probably exceptions, CIC are nothing if not inconsistent

Mantrik-j

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2015
Doc's Request.
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
whitenoise23 said:
Any help would be most appreciated. I feel like I'm trapped in some Kafakaeque alphabet soup of bureaucracy :-X. Good luck everyone!
Hey whitenoise23, could you please update on what happened in the end with your BOWP?

8Hannah8

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
Mantrik-j said:
Hey whitenoise23, could you please update on what happened in the end with your BOWP?
I applied a day before my PGWP was about to expire with automatic AOR on hand, got my BOWP approved a day before my implied status was to expire, which was 89 days only.... The funny part is that I landed on the last day of my implied status and didn't know my BOWP was on the way.

Tiaa

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
I applied a day before my PGWP was about to expire with automatic AOR on hand, got my BOWP approved a day before my implied status was to expire, which was 89 days only.... The funny part is that I landed on the last day of my implied status and didn't know my BOWP was on the way.
Hi there, could you please let me know how to apply BOWP by mail. I did not see this option while apply online. How I pay the fees and get the receipt if I send everything by paper? much appreciated!