+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education Degree and Digital photo

c0109

Star Member
Jul 15, 2014
Sorry to post 2 irrelevant questions in one thread. But I didn't want to create two threads for two questions.

I have given details on only my graduation(Got ECA). I didn't mention anything about secondary or post-secondary details in Express Entry profile. Should this be good enough?

Digital photo -

The description in CIC says

Dimensions:

The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8" x 1 ¾").
The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 ¼") and 36 mm (1 7/16").
Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540.
Quality/Resolution:

If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.
File Format:

The file may be submitted in JPEG or JPEG2000 format.
File Size:

The final size of the image should be ideally 240 kB (kilobytes), but not less than 60 kB.
Colour:

The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB colour space which is the common output for most digital cameras.

I got this photograph done from London drugs and that guy has given me soft copy along with original photographs.
The size is around 4.5-5 inches in length and 4 inches in width. Is this the right size or should it be a small one?

toben

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I uploaded just my Master's ECA and the translated Master certificate. I did not include documents for other degrees, school, etc.

The photo should show what they want to see I think (The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.), since it's digital the physical size doesn't really apply anymore. Just make sure that the quality is good enough. I uploaded a scanned photo that's passport style just a little big bigger.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
c0109 said:
Thank you so much.
Did yo umake sure size of head from chin to crown is as per specification. Infact you can use an old photo and just set the dimensions on your own if you have photoshop. I did not know London Drugs are specialized in immigration photography. All cities have immigration photographers who strictly adhere to CIC's specification. You would definitely not like CIC to delay your application because the photo did not match specs.

evand

Mar 21, 2015
Photos from London Drugs DO NOT meet the standard. I just spent all afternoon trying to get them to do it right, but they couldn't.

These are the criteria London Drugs failed:

• "The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540." The dimensions of my photo were too small.
  • "The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel)"
. LD gave me 8 bits per pixel.
[/list]

When I went back and had them re-do the photo, they were able to e-mail me a second file that met the criteria for pixel dimensions. But even then, their computer was unable to give me a photo with 24 bits per pixel. At least I was able to get a refund, though.

My plan is to find a shop with more knowledgeable staff and have them take the photo over again.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of an easy way for non-technical people to check the number of bits per pixel. (I used Photoshop.) You can, however, check the dimensions pretty easily. On a Mac, right-click on the file and choose Get Info. On Windows, open the folder with your picture in it. Change the view to tiles, and it will show the dimensions next to the name.