+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA report for foreign Bachelors Degree with Canadian Master's

zmeade

Nov 14, 2023
Hi all. I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, but I have seen some conflicting answers online so I'm just reaching out for clarity.

I received my Bachelor's Degree in the US, then received my Master's Degree in Canada. Do I need to get an ECA report for my US Bachelor's degree for Express Entry?

The IRCC website says that "you only need an assessment for your highest level of education" and that "You don’t need an assessment for a Canadian degree." This suggests I would not need the ECA, since my highest level of education is a Canadian degree.

However, I have seen conflicting information online. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all. I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, but I have seen some conflicting answers online so I'm just reaching out for clarity.

I received my Bachelor's Degree in the US, then received my Master's Degree in Canada. Do I need to get an ECA report for my US Bachelor's degree for Express Entry?

The IRCC website says that "you only need an assessment for your highest level of education" and that "You don’t need an assessment for a Canadian degree." This suggests I would not need the ECA, since my highest level of education is a Canadian degree.

However, I have seen conflicting information online. I appreciate any help. Thanks
The Masters is your highest degree so no need to complete ECA for undergrad degree.

zmeade

Nov 14, 2023
The Masters is your highest degree so no need to complete ECA for undergrad degree.
I have a lawyer who replied to the same question with the opposite.

Is she wrong? It seems the IRCC website is on your side here; I'm just wondering what she's seeing that you don't. Is she just flat-out misinformed on this?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a lawyer who replied to the same question with the following:

"Yes, you must obtain your credential assessment given that your bachelor’s degree was obtained outside of Canada and you can earn points for international education."

Is she wrong? It seems the IRCC website is on your side here; I'm just wondering what she's seeing that you don't. Is she just flat-out misinformed on this?
You have a Canadian Masters so you don’t get any more points with an ECA for your degree. Only Phd will give you more points. No need for ECA. Is she an immigration lawyer? If so, don’t pay her.

zmeade

Nov 14, 2023
You have a Canadian Masters so you don’t get any more points with an ECA for your degree. Only Phd will give you more points. No need for ECA. Is she an immigration lawyer? If so, don’t pay her.
Thanks for the info. I'll get to the bottom of this. Maybe she misread my original email and didn't realize I had a Canadian Master's, in which case the problem isn't a lack of knowledge but a lack of reading skills... equally concerning.

Thanks again.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the info. I'll get to the bottom of this. Maybe she misread my original email and didn't realize I had a Canadian Master's, in which case the problem isn't a lack of knowledge but a lack of reading skills... equally concerning.

Thanks again.
Correct, Canadian masters doesn’t require ECA.