+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DUI sentencing changes will impact current & future applicants, as well as PRs

Mr Blue

May 28, 2024
I told them I read it everywhere. It clearly says conviction leads to deportation.

They’re saying from their experience you shouldn’t be deported. Don’t get into fine prints of law. There are lot of grey areas.

He said it’s
“Summary Conviction”

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I told them I read it everywhere. It clearly says conviction leads to deportation.

They’re saying from their experience you shouldn’t be deported. Don’t get into fine prints of law. There are lot of grey areas.

He said it’s
“Summary Conviction”
My understanding is that a summary conviction may be an offence that doesn't lead to inadmissibility. Summary convictions are less serious crimes than indictable offences.

BUT: the distinction between them is not as obvious as this may sound. You must be certain of it. And you need to confirm with an immigration lawyer that this offence, as charged and formulated, will not be an offence that leads to being declared inadmissible.

Your first lawyer should not be offended that you want to be certain and check with another lawyer. Ask for a written form of what crimes the plea deal means you are pleading to. And go and ask that specific question of other lawyers to be sure.

Your first lawyer may be right. I don't know, wasn't there when you had the discussion.

DANIEL1031

Sep 9, 2013
He is saying he got similar deal for his 2-3 clients with PR status and nobody got deported.
We are in the same boat mine my lawyer still waiting for disclosure from crown prosecutor.. let me updated me what’s happening in your case keep in touch please..

Mr Blue

May 28, 2024
We are in the same boat mine my lawyer still waiting for disclosure from crown prosecutor.. let me updated me what’s happening in your case keep in touch please..
Planning to hire a new attorney who can get my charges drop to non-criminal

FletcherHubbard

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
I am PR and I got charged with DUI. I was chilling 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 in my car, not driving. My criminal lawyer got me a plea deal of 1 year driving prohibition and $1000 fine for first time offence. It is still going to be a criminal record.

Last edited:

dtr1228

Aug 20, 2024
Any update. As 2 hearing passed in my case and crown prosecutor hasn't sent evidence to my lawyer . So my lawyer asked to go for trail and fight for non guilty.