+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dui conviction outside Canada ,, need help

Komalgill

Jan 18, 2016
I got a DUI ticket in 2008 outside Canada. Now I am a worker in Canada and want to,apply for permanent residency. I have hired an immigration lawyer who have submitted my application for t.r.p. , criminal rehabilitation and permanent residency at the same time as I am criminally inadmissible to Canada .This duo is 8 years old, I wAs fined and I paid the fine. I do not have the receipt for that but I have an email proof saying that I don't owe any money to the fine department. And lot of other supporting documents with my application.
If someone can help me what are my chances for rehab approval?
Is it like very hard in Canada for rehab or do they consider the fact that it's been 8 years now and should be granted rehab.

This was my only offense in my past.
Please help thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There shouldn't be any issues getting the rehabilitation application approved. Although it may take time.

How is it possible you are currently a worker in Canada since you are inadmissible? Did you obtain a TRP to allow you to enter Canada?

Dhudson

Star Member
May 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
00-00-2011
Med's Request
00-00-2015
Passport Req..
00-00-2015
LANDED..........
25-08-2015
Komalgill said:
I got a DUI ticket in 2008 outside Canada. Now I am a worker in Canada and want to,apply for permanent residency. I have hired an immigration lawyer who have submitted my application for t.r.p. , criminal rehabilitation and permanent residency at the same time as I am criminally inadmissible to Canada .This duo is 8 years old, I wAs fined and I paid the fine. I do not have the receipt for that but I have an email proof saying that I don't owe any money to the fine department. And lot of other supporting documents with my application.
If someone can help me what are my chances for rehab approval?
Is it like very hard in Canada for rehab or do they consider the fact that it's been 8 years now and should be granted rehab.

This was my only offense in my past.
Please help thank you
+1 Scylla, I agree - there shouldn't be any issues but small suggestion (not necessary, but help) ask your employer to write support letter for you like: "Hardest worker person, good results and etc" and add this words of the end of letter : "and no problem with alcohol or drugs".

Just attach this support letter to rehabilitation application ...

Regards,
DHudson.

Komalgill

Jan 18, 2016
Thank you very much for the information. I came to Canada as a student with no knowledge
That dui is crime in Canada. I came to know about it when I applied for permanent residency in here. And my Australian police check discloses about my 2008 duo in Australia. But other than that I never had any issue with Dui or any other fines or ticket.
I hope it doesn't take a year for rehab approval. I am afraid if my application gets refused on the base that how come I am already living in Canada with criminal inadmisibility. But in my rehab application I explained it all that it was an honest mistake. I came to Canada with no knowledge of dui. I put 3 reference letter to support my application. One from my employer saying that I am a good employee and he would like to support me through this process. My employer sponsored me through nominee program and I put my nominee certificate in my rehab application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Komalgill said:
Thank you very much for the information. I came to Canada as a student with no knowledge
That dui is crime in Canada. I came to know about it when I applied for permanent residency in here. And my Australian police check discloses about my 2008 duo in Australia. But other than that I never had any issue with Dui or any other fines or ticket.
I hope it doesn't take a year for rehab approval. I am afraid if my application gets refused on the base that how come I am already living in Canada with criminal inadmisibility. But in my rehab application I explained it all that it was an honest mistake. I came to Canada with no knowledge of dui. I put 3 reference letter to support my application. One from my employer saying that I am a good employee and he would like to support me through this process. My employer sponsored me through nominee program and I put my nominee certificate in my rehab application.
So I assume that means you committed misrepresentation in your study permit application by answering "no" to the question that asks you if you have ever committed, been arrested for, or been charged with or convicted for any criminal offence in any country? If so, that's not good news. Hard to say how CIC will handle that. Hopefully they give you a pass.

It's quite possible the rehab application could take a year or more - or it could take less. Really impossible to say since processing times seem to vary widely.

Good luck.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
So I assume that means you committed misrepresentation in your study permit application by answering "no" to the question that asks you if you have ever committed, been arrested for, or been charged with or convicted for any criminal offence in any country? If so, that's not good news. Hard to say how CIC will handle that. Hopefully they give you a pass.

It's quite possible the rehab application could take a year or more - or it could take less. Really impossible to say since processing times seem to vary widely.

Good luck.
Agreed. The answer to that question alone could have a devastating impact now.

Komalgill

Jan 18, 2016
Thank you for your response...
I have just applied for my criminal rehab, trp and permanent residency application. So trp takes about 3to 5 months for approval or rejection, according to my lawyer. So if my trp application gets rejected Can I get deported? In that case what would happen to my rehabilitation application? My p.r. File will be rejected too of course.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Komalgill said:
Thank you for your response...
I have just applied for my criminal rehab, trp and permanent residency application. So trp takes about 3to 5 months for approval or rejection, according to my lawyer. So if my trp application gets rejected Can I get deported? In that case what would happen to my rehabilitation application? My p.r. File will be rejected too of course.
That does not answer the question though. Where it asked you if you had ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, did you put "yes" or "no"? Given that you are in Canada at the moment, I would assume that you lied and said no.
If they decide that you committed mispresentation, which you did, then you could be kicked out of the country and issued a 5 year exclusion order.

jaimiphysio

Apr 18, 2016
How much did you blow over out of interest?? and which state are you from? I want to apply for a working visa and just waiting on my national police clearance but I had a drink driving conviction in perth from 2011 and worried that will show on my clearance.. :(

And any news on what you are going to do?

PMA

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this, hope things work out for you at the end. We all make mistake and the best course of action is to try to correct them by moving forward, I really hope you get a pass from CIC

Best of Luck