+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship for Canadian refugees?

sparksfly

Feb 15, 2013
Hi there!

I was born in Europe and came to Canada seeking asylum from my country over a decade ago. I am now a Canadian citizen and I would like to know if refugees lose their original citizenship after becoming Canadians. If not, would I be able to apply for a passport from my country of birth? Or would Canada be notified and have a problem with this? I have no intention of returning or ever living in my original country but a European passport would be valuable to me as I travel to Europe often and would not need a visa to work or study there.

Thanks in advance.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
sparksfly said:
Hi there!

I was born in Europe and came to Canada seeking asylum from my country over a decade ago. I am now a Canadian citizen and I would like to know if refugees lose their original citizenship after becoming Canadians. If not, would I be able to apply for a passport from my country of birth? Or would Canada be notified and have a problem with this? I have no intention of returning or ever living in my original country but a European passport would be valuable to me as I travel to Europe often and would not need a visa to work or study there.

Thanks in advance.
Canada allows you to hold dual citizenships and is not at all involved in your dealings with your country of origin. Your country of origin, however, could disapprove of you taking a second citizenship and might rob you of yours if they found out.

sparksfly

Feb 15, 2013
Swede said:
Canada allows you to hold dual citizenships and is not at all involved in your dealings with your country of origin. Your country of origin, however, could disapprove of you taking a second citizenship and might rob you of yours if they found out.
Is that because of the refugee status or just in general? My country of origin recognizes dual citizenship and allows me to hold both. The only way for me to lose it is if I renounce it - is that what I did once I sought asylum in Canada?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
sparksfly said:
Is that because of the refugee status or just in general? My country of origin recognizes dual citizenship and allows me to hold both. The only way for me to lose it is if I renounce it - is that what I did once I sought asylum in Canada?
It's up to your country to take your citizenship away from you (I doubt they would in this case), Canada only controls the citizenship of its own citizens. Call your local embassy and ask.

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
sparksfly said:
If your country allows dual-citizenship and you did not denounce it willingly WITH YOUR COUNTRY of origin you hold two citizenships right now. Just get a new passport from your country of origin by following their passport application procedure.

Taking Canadian citizenship does not denounce your other countries citizenship(s).

There are countries in the world who strip your citizenship away from you if you take on another country's citizenship. USA, Russia, China, Germany will do this if they find out.

mike

P.S.
Funny: When I was extracted from East Germany 25 years ago they gave me a choice, you sign a document that you willingly denounce German Citizenship and leave the country immediately or go to jail. Easy decision... In West Germany they laughed about the arrogation of the East German bureaucrats and gave me a passport based on my birth certificate within two weeks...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
While you may hold dual citizenship, the issue of a passport is a privilege and not a right. Your original country may quite justifiably withhold that privilege and refuse to issue one based solely on your refugee claim. They could take the view that they only have to issue a travel document for you to return "home".

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
zardoz said:
While you may hold dual citizenship, the issue of a passport is a privilege and not a right. Your original country may quite justifiably withhold that privilege and refuse to issue one based solely on your refugee claim. They could take the view that they only have to issue a travel document for you to return "home".
It pretty much has something to do on how they deal with their history. I think Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia should have learned out of their recent violent history and understand why people left their home countries.
Just a guess about your country of origin...

In case above is true, you return to your home, get a passport and leave for Canada...
Europe has open borders and the right of every European to chose their country of residence within the European Community!
And more important, you don't need to enter via one of your home country's airports. Any airport in Europe will welcome a Canadian Citizen with just a Canadian passport!

mike

sparksfly

Feb 15, 2013
mikeathome said:
It pretty much has something to do on how they deal with their history. I think Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia should have learned out of their recent violent history and understand why people left their home countries.
Just a guess about your country of origin...

In case above is true, you return to your home, get a passport and leave for Canada...
Europe has open borders and the right of every European to chose their country of residence within the European Community!
And more important, you don't need to enter via one of your home country's airports. Any airport in Europe will welcome a Canadian Citizen with just a Canadian passport!

mike
You're right on. My country of origin is Croatia however I'm ethnically Serbian which is why I sought asylum in Canada. Seems to me that I still hold Croatian citizenship despite my refugee claim, however I'm still not sure if Canada would have a problem with me taking out their passport?

I know you can lose your permanent residence as a refugee if you return to your home country. Are there any rules for refugees after you become a Canadian citizen?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sparksfly said:
I know you can lose your permanent residence as a refugee if you return to your home country. Are there any rules for refugees after you become a Canadian citizen?
I think the situation has changed in your home country since you filed refugee status but as long as you did not lie on your refugee application, I don't think it will affect your Canadian citizenship if you get your home country passport.

By the way, how would immigration Canada find out about you applying for a passport in Croatia?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikeathome said:
There are countries in the world who strip your citizenship away from you if you take on another country's citizenship. USA, Russia, China, Germany will do this if they find out.
The USA does not belong on your list. They do not particularly like people having dual citizenship but they don't interfere with it. There are loads of US citizens who have dual citizenship. The US only asks that they use their US passport when entering/leaving the US and that they file taxes in the US.

Germany is pretty bad though. They have recently allowed Germans who take foreign citizenships to keep their German citizenship if they have good arguments for why they should but it rarely works the other way around, that is US citizens who have immigrated to Germany are generally forced to give up their US citizenship if they want to become German but not because the US requires it but because Germany does.

cadi82

Oct 19, 2013
hello, i am sorry where in Europe, i am under a similar case, I would like to apply for asylum but i have got british passport,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cadi82 said:
hello, i am sorry where in Europe, i am under a similar case, I would like to apply for asylum but i have got british passport,
If you have a British passport then there's no way you're going to qualify for asylum. If you're having issues in your home country you can very easily move to the UK. You don't need asylum in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With a British passport, you can even move to any country in the EU because of the open job market agreement so if you don't like it in the UK, there are many other countries you can check out.

Feb 14, 2020
Hi there!

Thanks in advance.
Please be mindful, if you do get the passport from your original country (and especially if you travel there) it could be seen that you no longer need refugee status from that country and you could be repatriated there. Be very careful.

Feb 14, 2020
I think the situation has changed in your home country since you filed refugee status but as long as you did not lie on your refugee application, I don't think it will affect your Canadian citizenship if you get your home country passport.

By the way, how would immigration Canada find out about you applying for a passport in Croatia?
... if conditions change and it safe to live in your country of origin, you could be asked to return there. Be careful.