+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship and Canadian Experience Class - can I apply twice?

LeKiwiSuisse

Jan 28, 2015
Hi y'all,
Here's a question. I have (in theory, there is still a contract to sign) a job offer with residency sponsorship. I am currently in Vancouver on a Work and Holiday visa through NZ which is a one time, one year visa. My visa finishes on June 11th, so in terms of the likelihood of getting my residency processed is little to none especially as I'm waiting to take my IELS test at the end of Feb and getting my education verified and my work still needs to apply for LMIA (anyone know how long that takes?). I have Swiss citizenship too - and Switzerland has the chance to apply twice under the Young Professional visa program to a total of 18 months. So:

- Can I apply for the Young Professional visa with the job I currently have (that will sponsor my residency) to cover the time it will take for my residency application to process? Or do I have to get a work visa? (which appears to be more involved)

- If I can apply for the Young Professional visa - will my 1 year on the work and holiday visa count against the 18 months (ie can I get a maximum of 6 months only?)

- This goes a bit off the Canadian Experience topic but - if I can't apply for the Young Professional visa what would be the best visa to go for? There a few choices - a bridging visa, a work visa for skilled workers, a visa extension...?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!! :)

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
Decision Made - 29-02-2016 (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
LeKiwiSuisse said:
Hi y'all,
Here's a question. I have (in theory, there is still a contract to sign) a job offer with residency sponsorship. I am currently in Vancouver on a Work and Holiday visa through NZ which is a one time, one year visa. My visa finishes on June 11th, so in terms of the likelihood of getting my residency processed is little to none especially as I'm waiting to take my IELS test at the end of Feb and getting my education verified and my work still needs to apply for LMIA (anyone know how long that takes?). I have Swiss citizenship too - and Switzerland has the chance to apply twice under the Young Professional visa program to a total of 18 months. So:

- Can I apply for the Young Professional visa with the job I currently have (that will sponsor my residency) to cover the time it will take for my residency application to process? Or do I have to get a work visa? (which appears to be more involved)

- If I can apply for the Young Professional visa - will my 1 year on the work and holiday visa count against the 18 months (ie can I get a maximum of 6 months only?)

- This goes a bit off the Canadian Experience topic but - if I can't apply for the Young Professional visa what would be the best visa to go for? There a few choices - a bridging visa, a work visa for skilled workers, a visa extension...?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!! :)
I'm a bit confused, have you applied for CEC yet? Sounds like you haven't as you have not got the 12 months experience yet?

LeKiwiSuisse

Jan 28, 2015
I have applied for the CEC, as the work and holiday visa is a CEC visa, and I am currently using it with just over 4 months left before it expires. It's a one and done deal and I applied using my NZ citizenship. My question is can I apply for the young professional visa, also under the CEC umbrella, using my Swiss citizenship. If so would my one year of the work and holiday visa count against the 18 months I am eligible for as a Swiss citizen?

Hope that clarifies! :)

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
Decision Made - 29-02-2016 (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
LeKiwiSuisse said:
I have applied for the CEC, as the work and holiday visa is a CEC visa, and I am currently using it with just over 4 months left before it expires. It's a one and done deal and I applied using my NZ citizenship. My question is can I apply for the young professional visa, also under the CEC umbrella, using my Swiss citizenship. If so would my one year of the work and holiday visa count against the 18 months I am eligible for as a Swiss citizen?

Hope that clarifies! :)
I get the feeling you are confused as to what CEC is - it is a Permanent Residency program for people who have had at least 12 months work experience in Canada.

There is no such thing as a 'CEC visa', I think you are thinking of IEC (International Experience Canada)?