+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dropping middle name when applying for Canadian Passort

buzz123

Mar 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I recently got my citizenship and would like to apply for a Canadian passport. My name format is first/given name ->middle name->surname but I would like for my new passport not to have my middle name since I don't use it and it's just been added because under the Philippines rules, the mother's maiden surname has to be used as a middle name. All my ids are with the middle name. I asked the passport officer if I could drop it. She said the only way that could be done is if I get a new driver's license without the middle name. I understand that is not a legal name change since my citizenship certificate, SIN card and provincial health card still have my middle name on it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

hgn

Feb 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buzz123 said:
Hi everyone,

I recently got my citizenship and would like to apply for a Canadian passport. My name format is first/given name ->middle name->surname but I would like for my new passport not to have my middle name since I don't use it and it's just been added because under the Philippines rules, the mother's maiden surname has to be used as a middle name. All my ids are with the middle name. I asked the passport officer if I could drop it. She said the only way that could be done is if I get a new driver's license without the middle name. I understand that is not a legal name change since my citizenship certificate, SIN card and provincial health card still have my middle name on it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
If you have a common first and last name, your middle name is what will practically 'save' you when your name comes up on: black lists, wanted list, person of interest etc. You may not need your middle name often for identification, but it will literally save your neck when it comes to mis-identification issues.

sunnyjupiter

Apr 4, 2015
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp&ved=0CBoQFjAAahUKEwjvvtKnu9LIAhVDO4gKHTV5BWo&usg=AFQjCNG5m7dlcmnGvZdmiqFtQf7-lZMLjg&sig2=HyOA3eqgBi3_2GRNZVHVGA