+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving to the US with expired PR card

highfly383

Feb 22, 2013
Hello,
My parents are in similar situation. They are missing out by 75 days for the requirement of 730 days. Unfortunately, they have to travel back to India before completing 730 days. However, they have US visitor visa.
I was thinking to book their flight to US first and then I will drive them back with me to Canada.

Questions:
1. Will this work as they would not have applied renewal by then?
2. Car is registered and owned by me and not my parents?
3. How long is the PR status remains active? Is it forever even if you don't renew?

Please advise.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
My parents are in similar situation. They are missing out by 75 days for the requirement of 730 days. Unfortunately, they have to travel back to India before completing 730 days. However, they have US visitor visa.
I was thinking to book their flight to US first and then I will drive them back with me to Canada.

Questions:
3. How long is the PR status remains active? Is it forever even if you don't renew?

Please advise.
In principle they can do this.
1. Since (you say) they are out of compliance with the residency obligation, they could have issues such as being reported (bad). With only 75 days short (as you say), likelihood of serious issue perhaps low.

But you haven't given enough details to say much more, eg how long will they be gone, etc. So only a wild guess.

2. That's not a question but not an issue for them to be in a car with you.

3. It is permanent unless revoked by IRCC (eg for non-compliance) or renounced by the PR.

IbyE

Mar 4, 2021
Hello,

Questions:

Please advise.
Hi,

My friend travelled recently by road with an expired passport and he was just asked why at the boarder. He told them he had an urgent thing to attend to and that he had applied for his card but had not yet received it and they let him go. Though he had by then completed 730 days having been away for a while. To be safe, I suggest your parents do the road travel only if they have completed the 730 days.

As I reported here before, I decided not to go by road because I was flagged when a came back having been away for a few years. Having then been compliant and received my new PR card, I took a 3 day trip by air and was stopped on arrival. They questioned me but when they saw I had met my residency obligations, they let me go and just said to keep an eye on the time I spend outside Canada.

Last edited: