+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver's abstract & Letter of Experience?

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
So, I had exchanged my Ohio driver's license for an Ontario one back in June. I have insurance here in Ontario and they requested a driver's abstract and letter of experience. Well, I received my abstract from Ohio but Ohio only shows the date of most recent license renewal so it is only showing that I've been licensed since 2010 instead of 1997 (first became licensed at 16). I called the Ohio BMV and they do not provide any document showing the date I was originally licensed, nor do they provide any type of "letter of experience". I have talked to 5 different reps there within the last week and they all state the same thing. Is there anything that I am able to do to obtain what is needed for Ontario insurance? If I am unable to provide these documents, my insurance will go up to $2,000+ a year and I have no accidents nor tickets, nothing on my record. Can anyone suggest anything? I appreciate your help!

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Hi muffy1, and ontarioo;

I am in the same situation that my latest driving license in the USA was issued in 2012. I was told that I will receive Graduated Driver License, but not the full license (advanced license) as I do not have letter of experience showing the first date of the license.

I have drivers abstract, however, it is showing the driver license date as 2012. It does not show the initial or the first date of the license.

I could not obtain the letter of experience showing the date of the first license. Please advise what did you do for the letter of experience. Thanks.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
For insurance providers asking for an abstract, get a letter from the insurance providers in USA.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I am in the same boat. Was anyone able to get a full historic record from the US?
I have obtained the letter of experience showing the date of the first license in Michigan by sending request letter directly to Lansing, MI, not to local DMV (SOS in MI). I've requested proper form first and paid like $11.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Do you have a link to that form?
No, I think I got the generic form (generic request form) from the local DMV, filled it out and manually wrote that I needed not just the letter of experience, but the statement showing when I got my first DL in Michigan and mailed it to State Capital ( Lansing, MI). I think other states could have similar procedure, but not sure, could be different. By the way I did it not for DL exchange, but to get Insurance discount, which is based on driver experience.