+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver License in Canada, 2 year wait ?!?!?

alebreez

Nov 12, 2012
I don't think so I got mine in 2 weeks from arriving I was 20 at the time and have 2 years experience.. I got G2

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
warhound said:
So basically we have to wait 2 years before we can start driving ?! sheesh is there a way around ?
To comment, need a lot more info. Specifically,
a) Do you have an existing DL?
b) Where was it issued?
c) How long have you been licensed?
d) How old are you?
e) What is your status in Canada (PR/Study Permit/Work Permit/Extended Visitor/etc.)?

... a LOT depends on the responses to these questions.

wfsoomro

Jun 27, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
15-09-2020
Hey any idea if an international drivings license issued from Pakistan is acceptable in Canada?

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wfsoomro said:
Hey any idea if an international drivings license issued from Pakistan is acceptable in Canada?
It depends on your status. If you're simply visiting (as a tourist) then yes, its valid for up to 90 days in most provinces. If you are new PR, or on a work or study permit, then you must get a license from your province within 30 or 60 days, depending n the province.

Most people misunderstand what kind of a document an international driving license actually is ... it is intended to serve as a translation rather than an actual license itself, which is why it is only valid in conjunction with an actual driving license and only valid outside the country in which it was issued.

Bottom line is that if you plan to drive in Canada and you're anything other than a tourist on a short visit, you'll have to obtain a license here shortly after your arrival.

Good luck in your endeavours.

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
NeedleArtist said:
To comment, need a lot more info. Specifically,
a) Do you have an existing DL?
b) Where was it issued?
c) How long have you been licensed?
d) How old are you?
e) What is your status in Canada (PR/Study Permit/Work Permit/Extended Visitor/etc.)?
That's my headache, too

a) Do you have an existing DL? - no
b) Where was it issued? -
c) How long have you been licensed? never
d) How old are you? - 28
e) What is your status in Canada - PR
I drove for 2 years in States, but that was more than 3 years ago

what woudl it be for me?

thank you

badalpharm

Star Member
Dec 21, 2011
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
Doc's Request.
no
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-11-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
29-04-2014
Med's Done....
13-05-2014
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
21-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2015
LANDED..........
11-02-2015
In which province are you?

If you are in ON, after getting G1, you have two option.

1. wait for 1 year and then take road test and get G2
2. Wait 8 month, and meanwhile take MTO approved driving course (costs about $500 - $700) and then give test.

P.S.: you do not need to wait to take G1 test.

Badal
spaceraceone said:
That's my headache, too

a) Do you have an existing DL? - no
b) Where was it issued? -
c) How long have you been licensed? never
d) How old are you? - 28
e) What is your status in Canada - PR
I drove for 2 years in States, but that was more than 3 years ago

what woudl it be for me?

thank you

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
badalpharm said:

2. Wait 8 month, and meanwhile take MTO approved driving course (costs about $500 - $700) and then give test.

Badal

Yes, in Ontario - thanks a bunch )

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
badalpharm said:

Badal
Another option you may have that would result in an immediate G2: You mentioned that you drove for two years in the US, albeit a few years ago. Depending on which state it was, you may be able to reinstate/renew that license, then simply do a one-for-one swap to an Ontario license. Even if you cannot, if you still have the old US license # somewhere amongst your personal records, it might be very beneficial for you. I'm not sure about Ontario, but here in BC, ICBC (our provincial licensing folks) have the ability to access data from US states' licensing bureaus. Here, if ICBC can verify a minimum of two years driving experience, they will issue a full unrestricted license immediately, allowing you to skip the Learner and Novice Driver stages. No tests (neither written nor road) are required, only a quick vision screening; simply pay the $50 fee and walk out with a shiny new license!

Best of luck to you in your endeavours.

chamarajaya

Star Member
Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi iam from sri lanka and willing to go nova scotia as a temporary resident visa. i got my driving license here and i want to know can i use that in canada as a international driving license. my details are below

a) Do you have an existing DL? -yes
b) Where was it issued? -Sri Lanka
c) How long have you been licensed? it issued 2011-01-14 that mean near to 2 years
d) How old are you? - 30
e) What is your status in Canada - temporary resident visa

please give your ideas

abhinav2212

Sep 7, 2012
Visa Office......
CGC Chandigargh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's done prior to visa filing
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2012
alebreez said:
I don't think so I got mine in 2 weeks from arriving I was 20 at the time and have 2 years experience.. I got G2
i would be coming to Canada in december. Could u plz tell me when i could give G (in Ontario)
i am 24 years old and have been driving since past 5 years (with a valid Indian license)

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
NeedleArtist said:
Another option you may have that would result in an immediate G2: You mentioned that you drove for two years in the US, albeit a few years ago. Depending on which state it was, you may be able to reinstate/renew that license, then simply do a one-for-one swap to an Ontario license. Even if you cannot, if you still have the old US license # somewhere amongst your personal records, it might be very beneficial for you. I'm not sure about Ontario, but here in BC, ICBC (our provincial licensing folks) have the ability to access data from US states' licensing bureaus. Here, if ICBC can verify a minimum of two years driving experience, they will issue a full unrestricted license immediately, allowing you to skip the Learner and Novice Driver stages. No tests (neither written nor road) are required, only a quick vision screening; simply pay the $50 fee and walk out with a shiny new license!

Best of luck to you in your endeavours.
Thanks for the advice