+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Drive to Canada with expired US driving license

dsdsdscdscad

Jun 3, 2018
Dear All,

Finally I got my PR approved last month after a whole year long waiting. Now I plan to drive to Canada with using my student permit visa first because I need to rush to Toronto to register class. (I was admitted by a school in Toronto).

My US driving license expired in the end of July. I wonder am I allowed to drive to Canada if my driving license expired? Thank you!

Besides, is it that I need to provide a list regarding the items I carry with when I first come to Canada? ( for tax-free purpose)

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

PrasadK

Jul 5, 2019
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
08-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2019
LANDED..........
15-01-2020
I don't think anyone anywhere permits driving on an expired license..

Congrats on your PR!

dsdsdscdscad

Jun 3, 2018
I don't think anyone anywhere permits driving on an expired license..

Congrats on your PR!
Thanks for the reply. I will convert it into Canada driving license afterwards. Once I get my confirmation letter in Canada, I will import my car... I know it may take few months. I know Canada allows new immigrants with "one-year"expired US driving license to change Canadian driving license.

PrasadK

Jul 5, 2019
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
08-11-2019
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2019
LANDED..........
15-01-2020
I know Canada allows new immigrants with "one-year"expired US driving license to change Canadian driving license.
Ah.. I hadn't heard of anything like that. But you better make sure :) I'll let more experienced members chime in..

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I will convert it into Canada driving license afterwards. Once I get my confirmation letter in Canada, I will import my car... I know it may take few months. I know Canada allows new immigrants with "one-year"expired US driving license to change Canadian driving license.
Although I have no insider info, if there is such a rule then I doubt that it implies anyone can drive with an expired licence but if they have a licence that is expired they have a year to exchange but not drive or drive at own risk in the mean time until exchanged.

I defer though to those more knowledgable as suspect different provinces even have different rules for US licence exchange

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/new-immigrants-with-expired-us-dl-exchange-of-license.451968/

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dear All,

Finally I got my PR approved last month after a whole year long waiting. Now I plan to drive to Canada with using my student permit visa first because I need to rush to Toronto to register class. (I was admitted by a school in Toronto).

My US driving license expired in the end of July. I wonder am I allowed to drive to Canada if my driving license expired? Thank you!

Besides, is it that I need to provide a list regarding the items I carry with when I first come to Canada? ( for tax-free purpose)

Do NOT drive on an expired licence. You may hit problems with the authorities at any point in your journey, leading to much inconvenience.
You would be forced to abandon your vehicle wherever you are stopped, as you would not be licenced to carry on with the journey.

Reactions: scylla

arun_canpr

Star Member
Apr 27, 2019
Its true that Canada allows conversion of licenses expired within one year - with an original DMV letter to authenticate your driving license. However driving with expired license(especially when caught) is a serious offense on both sides... I m sure the CBSA may ask for the same at PoE... Dont risk it...

Reactions: scylla and PrasadK

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear All,

As others have said, you definitely do not want to try crossing the border with an expired license. Renew your US license before driving to Canada.

Jul 29, 2019
Operation while disqualified is an indictable offense in Canada. If you were caught in the U.S.A., this immediately disqualifies your entry into Canada due to criminal inadmissibility. Yes, you are required to report this to IRCC if caught.

You can take your chances. But understand that it is your decision and you have to live with the consequences.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yea, but if you don’t know about DMV, they only extend your license to the last day of legal status.
Then make sure that you move before you lose status...

The alternative is to get to Canada by other means and re-licence here. Then go back and get the vehicle.