+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does working remotely count towards Canadian work experience?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am on my PGWP. My question was more so about whether it can be counted towards my foreign experience.
So you aren’t working for a Canadian company at all on your PGWP but full time for a US company? If you aren’t working for a Canadian company while on PGWP then you can count the foreign experience.

jondee

Sep 19, 2024
Thank you and Yes, that’s correct. I am not claiming a Canadian experience during this time as it is not a Canadian company. Where I am really getting confused is the following. It says that the experience gained outside Canada although it doesn’t specifcally mention about being physically outside.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system/current.html

Foreign work experience

25 (1) For the purposes of sections 23 and 24, foreign work experience is work experience that

(a) is acquired by a foreign national outside Canada in one or more occupations listed in TEER Category 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the National Occupational Classification;
(b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you and Yes, that’s correct. I am not claiming a Canadian experience during this time as it is not a Canadian company. Where I am really getting confused is the following. It says that the experience gained outside Canada although it doesn’t specifcally mention about being physically outside.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system/current.html

Foreign work experience

25 (1) For the purposes of sections 23 and 24, foreign work experience is work experience that

(a) is acquired by a foreign national outside Canada in one or more occupations listed in TEER Category 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the National Occupational Classification;
(b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;
Remote workers in Canada who work for Indian, US, UK etc. claim foreign experience all the time.

jondee

Sep 19, 2024
Thanks and that’s exactly what I thought and feel logical as well as otherwise it is not considered a canadian experience or a foreign experience.

However many people say that it is not possible to claim citing the above point I mentioned in my previous reply.

jondee

Sep 19, 2024
Thank you and appreciate coming back to me on this. Did have search and apparently some claim that one shouldn't claim the experience. I think logically speaking it should be allowed.