+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does working as a contractor hinder express entry?

kartiw

Jan 2, 2019
Hello everyone,
So, I am about to complete my master's degree from SFU. I have been contacted by a recruiter for a contractor position with a financial company as a computer scientist. She said that "there might be a possibility you cannot apply for express entry if you are working as a contractor and not as a full-time employee." She is also not sure about this and the CIC website doesn't say anything about as well. I was wondering if this true.

Any clarification is appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S: I have no prior work experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnerkSolom

Takentaken421

Aug 30, 2018
This is the first time I am hearing this. I am not experience in employment in Canada, but as per my basic understanding I don't think it will be an issue as long as you have enough documents to prove your employment.

kartiw

Jan 2, 2019
This is the first time I am hearing this. I am not experience in employment in Canada, but as per my basic understanding I don't think it will be an issue as long as you have enough documents to prove your employment.
Exactly, even i was surprised to hear this. So i am hoping someone would give me a concrete answer.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
If this job is considered self employed, then you can't use it to apply under CEC.

Edit: Missed your first sentence, any experience you gained while live in Canada as a full time student doesn't count.

Last edited:

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018
Depends,
Would you be working for company A, which then is selling services to company B and you'll be a contractor in company B?
If so, it might be ok since your employer is company A and if you are considered a full time employee for company A it should be alright.

If you are working as a contractor for company A, then most likely won't be eligible as it would be interpreted as self-employment.

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Depends on how the job offer contract is worded. Does it mean 'Independent contractor'? If so, no you will not be eligible for Canadian work experience because it will fall under 'self employment'.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

One key difference for an independent contractor is that an employer will not pay employment taxes or in other words, wont deduct taxes off your salary. So you will have to make sure you claim your income when filing taxes. That means you will also not get a T4 tax form on behalf of the company when filing taxes, indicating that you are a contractor for the company and not an employee. The employer will not have employee insurance for your either.

When applying for express entry, one of the main requirements is that you provide proof of tax assessments for the years you are claiming for Canadian work experience. As an independent contractor, you won't be able to show the tax assessments indicating that a company has provided employment for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29

So make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before signing contracts!

kartiw

Jan 2, 2019
Depends,
Would you be working for company A, which then is selling services to company B and you'll be a contractor in company B?
If so, it might be ok since your employer is company A and if you are considered a full time employee for company A it should be alright.

If you are working as a contractor for company A, then most likely won't be eligible as it would be interpreted as self-employment.
This is the most likely case. I have asked the recruiter about this. Waiting for her reply. Thanks for this

kartiw

Jan 2, 2019
Depends on how the job offer contract is worded. Does it mean 'Independent contractor'? If so, no you will not be eligible for Canadian work experience because it will fall under 'self employment'.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

One key difference for an independent contractor is that an employer will not pay employment taxes or in other words, wont deduct taxes off your salary. So you will have to make sure you claim your income when filing taxes. That means you will also not get a T4 tax form on behalf of the company when filing taxes, indicating that you are a contractor for the company and not an employee. The employer will not have employee insurance for your either.

When applying for express entry, one of the main requirements is that you provide proof of tax assessments for the years you are claiming for Canadian work experience. As an independent contractor, you won't be able to show the tax assessments indicating that a company has provided employment for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29

So make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before signing contracts!
Ah, this makes sense. So basically if I go as self-employed contractor then I won't have the Tax proof while filing my express entry. and that's the actual issue.

Thanks this clears alot of things

theapplicantt

Jul 28, 2019
Hi there ,

I have a similar question.I worked part time for a company and now work full time with the same company .However for last year I got T4A and I was wondering if my part time work will be counted for CEC.

Thankx .

Diegoflores17

Jun 14, 2018
Does work experience as a contractor (working for the company but getting paid by a staffing company) count for AOS? I understand it does, as long as it is 6 months under the same occupation (NOC) on the last 18 months...
TIA

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
So what happened to your case? Did you apply under CEC?
That looks like my case now because I`m working as an Administrative Assistant for 2 realtors in a Real Estate Office for almost one year and I thought I could use it to apply under CEC however my bosses told me I`m on a contract base as an independent contractor and I found out I cannot apply under CEC even though I earn per hour and I come to the office Monday to Friday, 6h per day, 30h per week.

I`m still thinking of applying under CEC and see how it goes and I it gets rejected I still have 2 years of PGWP, so I don't know.

soodeh

Sep 18, 2023
Hi,

I have the same issue I am a contractor, and I have been working as a developer in the company for 1 year. The company sent a letter and wrote that I am an Independent contractor as a developer from last year and my salary is X per hour. Is it enough for my work experience?☹
Please help how can I solve this problem.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I have the same issue I am a contractor, and I have been working as a developer in the company for 1 year. The company sent a letter and wrote that I am an Independent contractor as a developer from last year and my salary is X per hour. Is it enough for my work experience?☹
Please help how can I solve this problem.
Is this for CEC or FSW? If Canadian work experience, do you get a T4 from the company for your taxes?

soodeh

Sep 18, 2023
I want to apply for PR in express entry and I need Canadian Job Experience. Right now I am paying my tax by myself at the end of the year and I am not getting T4.
Is this for CEC or FSW? If Canadian work experience, do you get a T4 from the company for your taxes?