+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does US green card application negatively effect the Canadian citizenship application?

CanadianC

Mar 15, 2017
Does US green card application negatively affect the Canadian citizenship application? Due to business matters, my employer is about to file a US green card application for me. Besides, I will file my Canadian citizenship application when C6 comes into effect in Fall.

Any similar experience or reliable data here?

Last edited:

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Does US green card application negatively effect the Canadian citizenship application? Due to business matters, my employer is about to file a US green card application for me. Besides, I will file my Canadian citizenship application when C6 comes into effect in Fall.

Any similar experience or reliable data here?
No!

When I applied for citizenship last fall, there was question whether or not the applicant is a permanent resident or equivalent of any country other than Canada! Applying for GC does not make you a permanent resident of USA. If you apply for Canadian citizenship in the next six months, chances are that you will get citizenship before your GC is approved.

Reactions: CanadianC

CanadianC

Mar 15, 2017
Assume that GC application is expedited and it's approved before the Canadian citizenship application is filed.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Assuming you receive GC before you apply for citizenship, the answer is still No!

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
No!

When I applied for citizenship last fall, there was question whether or not the applicant is a permanent resident or equivalent of any country other than Canada! Applying for GC does not make you a permanent resident of USA. If you apply for Canadian citizenship in the next six months, chances are that you will get citizenship before your GC is approved.
1. Were you a green card holder when you applied for Canadian citizenship?
2. How long did it take for you to get Canadian citizenship? Does US GC cause delay in citizenship processing times?