+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my experience really count for my ITA? (Double checking)

Dec 5, 2022
(This is an edited repost from an earlier thread as the original one didn't receive any replies. Hopefully, this time around someone who can help can see this.)

Hello all. I received an ITA on Nov 23 in which the critical factor for my qualification is my one year of Canadian experience, achieved via a Young Professionals, IEC permit. As far as I am aware, work experience from this stream can count towards immigration in the general case (considering, of course, the work performed was NOC 0/A/B and it was under all other requirements too).

There are a few details that give me second thoughts on whether my experience counts or not, however, especially with respect to the time you work as a student.

First: the context of my employment was initially an internship. Towards the end of my studies (meant to be circa July 2020, but delayed due to the pandemic) I reached out to this company and they agreed to take me in from abroad. This is still a YP-IEC permit, but it states "Acoustics Engineering Intern" in the title.

Second: I landed in Nov 2021, formally graduated in May 2022 and completed my full year of Canadian employment by last month. It has been over a year since my first day at the job and around 7 months since I graduated (by the time I received an ITA). I've been technically enrolled as a full-time major for 6 months of my experience here, but that was in a different country.

Third: all of my experience was full-time, paid, and within the same NOC/TEER attribution (NOC 2132), without any sort of volunteering work. I was later promoted to Junior once I graduated, with a slight pay change, but still within the same NOC as my permit specifies.

Now, the core of my question comes when I look at the bottom of this page https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29. I was technically enrolled as a full-time student, but outside Canada.

I've found conflicting information and assessments on this, so I would like to gather more opinions. After all, how much experience can I really claim for my time so far? 6 months or 1 year?

Thank you all in advance, especially for reading this long post :)