+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does CO-OP counts to CEC if we work under same employer

Nov 16, 2021
Hello,

I'm currently working as a co-op student under a employer who is offering me full time position right after my co-op ends. So as I'm working under same employer does my co-op experience counts to CEC. The co-op is paid and there is no gaps in between.

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks in advance

45thgrr

Star Member
Jun 30, 2021
Nope, co-op is part of your studies for which you get grades. Unfortunately it doesn't count towards CEC. Congrats on full time. What do you do? If I may ask?!

Reactions: Naturgrl
Nov 16, 2021
Can I count student work experience toward the Express Entry work requirement?
It depends on where you were working and studying.
To be eligible for Express Entry, you must meet the minimum requirements for 1 or more Express Entry programs. This includes the work experience requirement.
Using student work experience for minimum requirements
Federal Skilled Worker Program
Student work experience gained while you were studying in Canada or abroad counts towards the minimum requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program if the work:
This includes co-op terms and apprenticeships.
Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Trades Program
Student work experience doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class or Federal Skilled Trades Program.
How student work experience affects your profile ranking
Canadian work experience gained while you were a full-time student doesn’t count towards the score used to rank your profile.
The work experience gained as a full-time student outside Canada counts towards the score used to rank your profile.

This is what i found in IRCC, it is little bit confused

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
To be eligible for Express Entry, you must meet the minimum requirements for 1 or more Express Entry programs. This includes the work experience requirement.
Student work experience gained while you were studying in Canada or abroad counts towards the minimum requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program if the work:
Student work experience doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class or Federal Skilled Trades Program.
Canadian work experience gained while you were a full-time student doesn’t count towards the score used to rank your profile.
The work experience gained as a full-time student outside Canada counts towards the score used to rank your profile.

You can’t count it as Canadian experience (CEC) if you are studying in Canada and it is a co-op. You may be able to use as foreign experience (FSW). To be eligible for FSW, your work experience must be at least one year and continuous (no breaks).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I'm currently working as a co-op student under a employer who is offering me full time position right after my co-op ends. So as I'm working under same employer does my co-op experience counts to CEC. The co-op is paid and there is no gaps in between.

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks in advance
No - not towards CEC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Not sure what's confusing. The above clearly summarizes the rules.

You can count this as work experience towards FSW.

You CANNOT count this as work experience towards CEC.

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC

It clearly states you CANNOT count your CO-OP or INTERN experience for CEC however you can through FSW.

A CEC has to be a 1 Year Experience working full time (1560 hours) or Part Time with a total of 1560 hours.