+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does CIC keep documents submitted with rejected applications in file?

mature

Sep 15, 2014
In 2007 I submitted an application for Citizenship ( born abroad, in wedlock, before 1/1/ 1947 to a Canadian mother). After a long delay- due to the pending enactment of the 2009 law amending the Citizenship Act- my application was rejected. The Citizenship Officer signing the letter did not dispute any of the facts I presented or the documents I submitted to support them but for the sole reason that eventually the 2009 did not cover my case. My question is whether these documents are still in file and could be used to support my new application, which I just submitted, in case that something is missing. Many thanks in advance.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mature said:
In 2007 I submitted an application for Citizenship ( born abroad, in wedlock, before 1/1/ 1947 to a Canadian mother). After a long delay- due to the pending enactment of the 2009 law amending the Citizenship Act- my application was rejected. The Citizenship Officer signing the letter did not dispute any of the facts I presented or the documents I submitted to support them but for the sole reason that eventually the 2009 did not cover my case. My question is whether these documents are still in file and could be used to support my new application, which I just submitted, in case that something is missing. Many thanks in advance.
Most likely the documents from the old application were retained, but did you supply the old file number with your new application, so they would know where to look? Does your rejection letter contain a phone/fax number or e-mail address? If so, you may be able to contact CIC and ask your question.

mature

Sep 15, 2014
Many thanks. Yes indeed I do have a signed letter and a file number and I will contact them as soon as I receive a letter acknowledging my new application.