+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Canadian companies wait for longer notice periods?

vineet_120191

May 20, 2017
Hello Folks,

This question is haunting me these days.
The company in which I work for has 2 months of notice period (in India). I have PR visa and I am going to land in Canada on 30th Jun. Initially I'll be working for the same Indian company, remotely, with approval for six months. I am doing this to support myself while being there and searching for a job. But the problem is, I don't think Canadian companies usually have such long notice periods. I checked online and found that they, on average, have 1-2 weeks of notice periods. In this case, will they agree to wait 2 months for me to join?

If required, I maybe able to buyout 1 month of notice period in my current company. But still, it is not guaranteed. I certainly don't want to put my papers down before getting any job offer there.

Please let me know if anyone has experience about this situation.
I am a business analyst and would be looking for a job in IT field.

Thank you in advance!

mihir_180120

Jan 18, 2020
Hi Vineet,

I am facing the same situation now. have you got the job/company which has waited for 2 months? Please share your experience.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Vineet,

I am facing the same situation now. have you got the job/company which has waited for 2 months? Please share your experience.

Thanks in adavance!
Unless you are highly skilled and very specialized, it's extremely unlikely that any company will hold a job for 2 months.

Reactions: mihir_180120

mihir_180120

Jan 18, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I am holding PR so visa is not an issue for me. For me, the challenge is job change as Indian companies have notice period in range of 1 to 3 months (in my case 2 months) while in Canada notice periods are 1 or 2 weeks only. So, It is hard to convince any company to wait for 2 months.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It all depends on the position in the company. If it’s a fairly senior position, a month or two notice isn’t uncommon in Canada. The requirement may be 2 weeks by letter of the law, but in practice it’s usually more.