+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you think the caregiver program will be extended beyond 2024?

sana_delta

Feb 18, 2024
My sister is currently in Canada with an open work permit. She has more than 1 year of foreign work experience as a childcare provider. Her English is good and she will easily meet the hccp requirements. She also meets the education requirement. She has a very good relationship with my 4-year-old son and I was wondering if I could hire her as a nanny.
If I proceed with hiring her, she will be eligible for the direct path to the PR category in February/March of 2025. However, as I understand, the HCC pilot is going to expire in 2024.
In your opinion, what is the possibility of IRCC extending the home childcare provider pilot beyond 2024?

I Appreciate your input.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My sister is currently in Canada with an open work permit. She has more than 1 year of foreign work experience as a childcare provider. Her English is good and she will easily meet the hccp requirements. She also meets the education requirement. She has a very good relationship with my 4-year-old son and I was wondering if I could hire her as a nanny.
If I proceed with hiring her, she will be eligible for the direct path to the PR category in February/March of 2025. However, as I understand, the HCC pilot is going to expire in 2024.
In your opinion, what is the possibility of IRCC extending the home childcare provider pilot beyond 2024?

I Appreciate your input.
Impossible to say but the bigger issue will likely be whether you could justify hiring a nanny for your child at this point. They will be in full-time school so does not need childcare until after school or potential for a short time before school. Did your child have a nanny after you stopped taking maternity leave or your spouse took paternity leave? If your child did not have a nanny when they didn’t have school it will be tough to justify why they need a nanny now that they are attending full-time school. There will always be increased scrutiny when it comes to applications for family members and in the situation it will be tough to justify why your child needs a nanny st this point and prove that this is way for your sister to secure PR not about your child needing a nanny. If you have had a nanny before or both you and your spouse now work shifts where finding childcare is much more difficult then that could justify needing a nanny. The other big issue is costs. You will have to prove that it makes sense financially to hire a nanny. For most families hiring a full-time caregiver is not feasible financially especially for one child and one child that attend school full-time. You would need to show that you have approximately an extra 45k in your yearly income to pay for nanny and that it would make sense to you to pay around 45k instead of paying for after school and/or before school care. For most it will be significantly less expensive to pay for before and/or after school care than a nanny especially for one child and most do not have the extra approximately 45k in their yearly budget to pay for a nanny or pay for nanny versus use the funds to save for retirement, go toward debt, etc. When trying to hire a family member you need to be viewing the situation like a visa officer and be looking for proof that hiring a nanny makes sense and this isn’t purely a way to secure PR for the family member.

Reactions: sana_delta

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........

I Appreciate your input.
The age justifies hiring a nanny.
I thought direct to PR was still open.

Nataliaa

May 18, 2020

I Appreciate your input.
So if you sister has open work permit already, she still need to apply for care giver work permit?
can’t she just start working for you?

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......

I Appreciate your input.
If your sister has OWP, can't she just apply directly for PR?

sana_delta

Feb 18, 2024
So if you sister has open work permit already, she still need to apply for care giver work permit?
can’t she just start working for you?
The open work permit has some conditions which prohibit providing certain services including childcare. One needs to complete certain medical tests by IRCC approved doctors to remove the conditions.

sana_delta

Feb 18, 2024
Impossible to say but the bigger issue will likely be whether you could justify hiring a nanny for your child at this point. They will be in full-time school so does not need childcare until after school or potential for a short time before school. Did your child have a nanny after you stopped taking maternity leave or your spouse took paternity leave? If your child did not have a nanny when they didn’t have school it will be tough to justify why they need a nanny now that they are attending full-time school. There will always be increased scrutiny when it comes to applications for family members and in the situation it will be tough to justify why your child needs a nanny st this point and prove that this is way for your sister to secure PR not about your child needing a nanny. If you have had a nanny before or both you and your spouse now work shifts where finding childcare is much more difficult then that could justify needing a nanny. The other big issue is costs. You will have to prove that it makes sense financially to hire a nanny. For most families hiring a full-time caregiver is not feasible financially especially for one child and one child that attend school full-time. You would need to show that you have approximately an extra 45k in your yearly income to pay for nanny and that it would make sense to you to pay around 45k instead of paying for after school and/or before school care. For most it will be significantly less expensive to pay for before and/or after school care than a nanny especially for one child and most do not have the extra approximately 45k in their yearly budget to pay for a nanny or pay for nanny versus use the funds to save for retirement, go toward debt, etc. When trying to hire a family member you need to be viewing the situation like a visa officer and be looking for proof that hiring a nanny makes sense and this isn’t purely a way to secure PR for the family member.
Thanks for the reply and sorry I got sick for a few weeks. So, last time I got pregnant I had a tough pregnancy and basically had to quit my job. It took me 2 years to be able to go back to work. I am trying to have a second child and at the same time, I do not want to quit my job. Having my sister help me with the pregnancy and taking care of my first child is the solution that would work. I can show all this in the documentation. The issue that I have is, as it stands, the program ends in 2024. Asking my sister for her help for a year while she will not have a viable path to PR at the end would not be fair to her. That's why I was speculating about the extension of the caregiver program.

sana_delta

Feb 18, 2024
If your sister has OWP, can't she just apply directly for PR?
She has obtained an open work permit through one of the special federal programs. However, she doesn't have enough points to apply and obtain her PR. She needs Canadian work experience.

Reactions: T365

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
My research shows the program is open until the end of 2024. I was not able to confirm whether the program would be extended beyond 2024.
Same here. I am also looking for immigration programs with high likelihood of PR approval for my sister, such as the HSWP and HCCP. Disheartening to know that they're going to end on June 2024.

I think we'll never know whether these programs will be extended or not, until IRCC decides to release information about it. I and many other people wish that they (IRCC) would be more transparent and have more foresight with their programs.

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......

I Appreciate your input.

I just remembered, your sister doesn't have to wait until next year and complete 1 year work experience to become eligible to apply to the HCCP program.

She could've applied to the Gaining Experience category:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/pathways-for-caregivers/child-care-provider-support-pilots/application-process.html

But the issue now is that the HCCP cap is already full for 2024. Seems like it's a really popular program and the cap gets filled quite quickly