+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do you feel harassed by CIC because of the RQ?

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
I certainly do.

I spent tens of hours trying to collect the information CIC requests for. I spent hundreds of dollars on translating good damn stamps. I argued with my bank to waive the fees on printing statements for the last 4 years. It's ridiculous.

You obey the law, you pay your taxes, you are honest with the government when you apply for Citizenship and this is how you're being treated?

Quote from Discover Canada booklet: "Our judicial system is founded on the presumption of innocence in criminal matters, meaning everyone is innocent until proven guilty."

BULLS..T!

Those who received the RQ are treated as criminals who have to prove their innocence.

Is there a class action suit against this governmental bullying? This is not fair.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inventov said:
I certainly do.

I spent tens of hours trying to collect the information CIC requests for. I spent hundreds of dollars on translating good damn stamps. I argued with my bank to waive the fees on printing statements for the last 4 years. It's ridiculous.

You obey the law, you pay your taxes, you are honest with the government when you apply for Citizenship and this is how you're being treated?

Quote from Discover Canada booklet: "Our judicial system is founded on the presumption of innocence in criminal matters, meaning everyone is innocent until proven guilty."

BULLS..T!

Those who received the RQ are treated as criminals who have to prove their innocence.

Is there a class action suit against this governmental bullying? This is not fair.
well, not really. I did not feel treated as criminals. It is just a lengthy process. It Is unfortunate that we got RQ.

You can sue if you have money and time.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I like how when you phone the Call Centre they feel obliged to tell you that "abusive language is not tolerated." Its as if they expect you to act like a jerk. Of course, I wonder if they ever sat down to wonder why the people they deal with would feel the need to use abusive language. :-\

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
nguyentu2001 said:
You can sue if you have money and time.
Sorry, but most of the times you can't have both money and time. But I wished I had more money to at least do something about it...

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
links18 said:
I like how when you phone the Call Centre they feel obliged to tell you that "abusive language is not tolerated." Its as if they expect you to act like a jerk. Of course, I wonder if they ever sat down to wonder why the people they deal with would feel the need to use abusive language. :-\
I actually always speak politely with them. It's not the agent's fault. But my frustration grows by the day and I almost feel like giving up...

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inventov said:
Sorry, but most of the times you can't have both money and time. But I wished I had more money to at least do something about it...
I know how you feel. I have been waiting since 2011. Nothing yet!

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
Immigrants are not told when they come here that they need to keep copies (for years) of their bank statements, rent check copies, pay slips, a record of entry exits, airplane tickets, car rental, credit card statements, old passports, lease agreements and the list goes on.

If we would've known that, we would've kept all of them and the RQ process would've been way easier.

charmed10-2013

Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inventov said:
Immigrants are not told when they come here that they need to keep copies (for years) of their bank statements, rent check copies, pay slips, a record of entry exits, airplane tickets, car rental, credit card statements, old passports, lease agreements and the list goes on.

If we would've known that, we would've kept all of them and the RQ process would've been way easier.
Agree 100%

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inventov said:

very good point. I did not know until I got RQ.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
inventov said:

Your also not told your citizenship application can take like four to five years to process, so instead of becoming a citizen after 3 years like they advertise, you might have to wait up to seven or eight.

inventov

Feb 17, 2014
You are also not told that if you apply for citizenship you are "grounded" to stay in Canada until you become a citizen.

I just spoke with an agent who told, I quote, "we don't give the citizenship to people who don't live in Canada" even if they met all the criteria at the time they applied. Why didn't they tell that in the guideline?

So, if you apply for Citizenship, don't look for jobs in the US or elsewhere. Don't leave the country even for one day, stay jobless and homeless in Canada and wait.

charmed10-2013

Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inventov said:
You are also not told that if you apply for citizenship you are "grounded" to stay in Canada until you become a citizen.

I just spoke with an agent who told, I quote, "we don't give the citizenship to people who don't live in Canada" even if they met all the criteria at the time they applied. Why didn't they tell that in the guideline?

So, if you apply for Citizenship, don't look for jobs in the US or elsewhere. Don't leave the country even for one day, stay jobless and homeless in Canada and wait.
I couldn't agree more. We are at their mercy. We can only wait. That's the saddest part.

Lorris

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Your also not told your citizenship application can take like four to five years to process, so instead of becoming a citizen after 3 years like they advertise, you might have to wait up to seven or eight.
Exactly, one of the most important reasons why I moved from the US to Canada was the perspective of becoming a citizen much faster - it's important to me for personal reasons. If I had known the real timeline, chances are I would have stayed in the States. Most likely I would be American by now... What an irony.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
inventov said:
Well, that's just not true. Call Centre agent is either lying to you or doesn't know what they are talking about. There is no legal requirement to live in Canada while your application is pending. Of course, the fear of being subjected to outright harassment or losing PR status due to unreasonably long processing times means most people are effectively grounded.