+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we need to have COPR even after citizenship ?

Oct 8, 2018
Hey everyone,
I was going through the pdf sent for online citizenship oath ceremony and there was a point mentioning about COPR under "Immediately AFTER the Zoom session" section.

"
3. Keep your “Record of Landing” or “Confirmation of Permanent Residence”
as you may need it later, for example to obtain old age security benefit.
Take out your record of landing (IMM 1000), if you became a permanent
resident before June 28, 2002, and have one, then write on it in a black pen
the words “Holder is No longer a Permanent Resident” in the middle of the
form.
"

I don't have my COPR. Is it really necessary to have COPR even after citizenship. I am not sure where can I download it from.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't have my COPR. Is it really necessary to have COPR even after citizenship. I am not sure where can I download it from.
I would put the emphasis strongly on you MIGHT need it later, i.e. mostly don't worry about it.

That said: you can order a replacement, count on it taking quite some time, may as well do it, scan it after you get it, stick the replacement with other important papers, forget about it.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=045&top=12

Make sure to tick the box that says you're looking for a replacement COPR.

xf2278389393

Star Member
Aug 27, 2023
Make sure to tick the box that says you're looking for a replacement COPR.
It's not actually a replacement CoPR. Replacements are only provided for temporary resident documents that are still valid. It's a Verification of Status document that contains nearly the same information as a CoPR. For a Canadian citizen, it will also say that the person is no longer a permanent resident. If specific information like immigration category that were included on the CoPR is needed, a note should be submitted with the application to specify the relevant information.

Reactions: armoured