AOR Received.
10-Mar-2015
File Transfer...
20-Feb-2016
Med's Request
12-Sep-2016
Med's Done....
13-Sep-2016
I am an Indian citizen(have valid Indian passport), currently on Tourist visa (expiring in 2019) in Canada. I am traveling to India via London, UK. I have 9 hours of layover at London airport with connecting flight from same airport (LHR). I would want to go out of the airport and meet friends in London(some place near to airport) and then come back before the flight departure to leave for Delhi. My question is Do I need any kind of visa (transit/visitor) to go out of the airport.

I went through some information online but did not find any clear answer. This is the information that I see on uk gov site but not clear on this. Please advice.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else/yes

Check if you need a UK visa
You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit

You should apply for a Visitor in Transit visa if you arrive on a flight and will pass through immigration control before you leave the UK.

Transiting without a visa
You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if:
  • you arrive and depart by air
  • have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
  • have the right documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
One of the following must also apply:
  • you’re travelling to (or on part of a reasonable journey to) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You need a UK Visitor Visa, not a UK Transit Visa if you leave the immigration control area of LHR.

A nine hours layover is not enough time to go out and meet friends especially if you intend to travel to say, Central London. It may be sufficient time if you're meeting your friends in/around Zones 4-6 (London Underground map) i.e. around Heathrow

anu321

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
SINP (Non EE)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Sep 2015
AOR Received.
10-Mar-2015
File Transfer...
20-Feb-2016
Med's Request
12-Sep-2016
Med's Done....
13-Sep-2016
You need a UK Visitor Visa, not a UK Transit Visa if you leave the immigration control area of LHR.

A nine hours layover is not enough time to go out and meet friends especially if you intend to travel to say, Central London. It may be sufficient time if you're meeting your friends in/around Zones 4-6 (London Underground map) i.e. around Heathrow
Thanks for your response. I intend to meet at a nearby place to the airport. I am still confused on why uk gov website says that I might be eligible as I stated "‘transit without visa’"

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
As you intend to leave LHR i.e. enter London, UK, you will pass through UK Border control = you must apply for a UK Visitor in Transit visa/UK Visitor Visa (if you intend to visit the UK again shortly)

BTW there's a difference between a Direct Airside Transit Visa (you won't need this if you do not leave the airport) and a Visitor in Transit Visa (for stays of less than 48 hours)

Last edited: