+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to inform IRCC about my marital status (single to married) AFTER my PR got approved?

Neato2024

Sep 22, 2024
I don't think so. Technically, they processed and approved your application before you got married. If they did not ask you to inform them of any changes like that in your life when submitting your PR photo, you should be okay. Then again I could be wrong? You can always consult with an immigration lawyer and pay them for 15-30mins.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I got married after I received my eCOPR. Do I need to inform IRCC about the changes? Thank you.
If you got your eCOPR (typically with the 'you are now a PR' email and message), then no, you do not need to inform IRCC. The critical period to inform IRCC is BEFORE you become a PR. (Note: becoming a PR is distinct from being 'approved to become a PR.)

And a warning to others: for Lord's sake, do yourself a favour and look into what is required for your PR process and status BEFORE you get married. And definitely BEFORE you respond to (by mail) any questions or correspondence and before you sign anything.

During the process of applying to/become a PR, you MUST inform IRCC of any changes in family situation (getting married, having a child, getting divorced or separated, etc). Not doing so - before you become a PR - can cause serious problems (like never, ever being able to sponsor your spouse or child - as an example).

So you owe it to yourself and your spouse to get informed about what you need to do BEFORE you get married.

Reactions: Buletruck

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I got married after I received my eCOPR. Do I need to inform IRCC about the changes? Thank you.
I wrote my above screed because it amazes me how many get married and then ask 'does this matter?'.

Get informed first!

Yes it matters! Fortunately not in the specific case above (because already a PR), but for immigration purposes, yes it usually does bloody matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78