+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need interpreter for my hearing

Tony81

Oct 14, 2021
Hello,

My refugee virtual hearing is scheduled in March 2022, However, English is not my 1st Language but I can communicate well in my recent Ietls exam I got 6.5
I wonder if I need interpreter for the hearing, what type of questions they usually ask?
My 2nd question is, I never had any eligibility interview the last time I went to the IRB office, the officer gave me the yellow paper for refugee along with other documents without questioning me. Is that normal?
Thanks in advance :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

My refugee virtual hearing is scheduled in March 2022, However, English is not my 1st Language but I can communicate well in my recent Ietls exam I got 6.5
I wonder if I need interpreter for the hearing, what type of questions they usually ask?
My 2nd question is, I never had any eligibility interview the last time I went to the IRB office, the officer gave me the yellow paper for refugee along with other documents without questioning me. Is that normal?
Having an interpreter is up to you and whether you are confident enough in English.

Reactions: Tony81

Turbo2210

Mar 17, 2021
That completely depends upon you, I opted for one not because I am bad in English but to get the additional time to have a structured answer.

No question is asked when you apply, eligibility check will happen during the hearing only.

Hello,

Masjuy

Dec 6, 2020
Hello,

My English is good but I ended up with interpreter, decided that I could get more time for preparing. It was right decision.
I understood everything and had extra 30 sec to think about answer