+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need ielts test for study permit?

LisaT

Oct 27, 2022
Hi, I have recently received a PG diploma offer from Algonquin college, and my previous study was finished in 2017 with a master's degree in the UK. I start preparing for a study visa and am wondering whether I need an IELTS test score to convince the visa officer of my English proficiency. I may get 6.5/6 if I take the test and I am thinking this score will weaken my visa application. I am applying from China. Thanks for your help!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I have recently received a PG diploma offer from Algonquin college, and my previous study was finished in 2017 with a master's degree in the UK. I start preparing for a study visa and am wondering whether I need an IELTS test score to convince the visa officer of my English proficiency. I may get 6.5/6 if I take the test and I am thinking this score will weaken my visa application. I am applying from China. Thanks for your help!
You don’t need it for non-SDS but it strengthens your profile because officers want to see that you are proficient in English and can then pass your courses.

MakZah

Oct 27, 2022
A language test is not required for a study permit. I think your PG Diploma will weaken your case since you already have a Post Graduate Degree.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A language test is not required for a study permit. I think your PG Diploma will weaken your case since you already have a Post Graduate Degree.
Agree, OP has a Masters so taking a diploma at a college doesn't show education progression nor can show career advancement. Can't see how the diploma will lead to higher pay in China to justify costs of program.

LisaT

Oct 27, 2022
Agree, OP has a Masters so taking a diploma at a college doesn't show education progression nor can show career advancement. Can't see how the diploma will lead to higher pay in China to justify costs of program.
I'm an OD civil engineer in the nuclear industry which is dominated by state-owned enterprises in China and they only hire top uni graduates, also, pursuing a PhD is a little bit difficult for me. I am thinking to gain a PG diploma in renewable energy then I can find jobs in related industries rather than bury myself in nuclear power plant:(.

LisaT

Oct 27, 2022
Thank you for your advice. I am thinking to work in a new industry that's why I think I need an education. I have tried to email some Canadian profs to surveilling me for master's study but have had no replies.

MakZah

Oct 27, 2022
Thank you for your advice. I am thinking to work in a new industry that's why I think I need an education. I have tried to email some Canadian profs to surveilling me for master's study but have had no replies.
If you have a good English language test score I suggest you to apply for express entry or PNP , if you succeed to get PR , you can freely choose your level of study.