+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do i need a visa if i only plant to take part time studies and 2 subjects

yuri

Jan 21, 2011
hello,

i got accepted in a university.. im on a work permit here in canada.

im wondering if i need to apply for student visa, if i just want to enroll 1 or 2 subjects for 1 term.

i have not really decided if i am really INTO this course.. i just want to take some subjects and gauge if its for me or not.. should i decide that I want it, then I can continue to finish the full-course, then I will apply for a student visa... ????

i think i read that if i the program is more than 6 months, then I need to apply for one. ill just be in school 4 months.. then we'll see if i continue.. ill just never know if i dont try the subjects out.. maybe i misinterpreted the rules.

Thank you..

monty1005

Aug 13, 2012
on the cic website regarding study permit exemptions, it says you don't need a study permit if the program lasts less than or equal to 6 months.

but it also says that you might want to apply for a study permit anyway in case you might want to continue your studies,

which seems to be your situation right now.

Azsereth

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
20-06-2011
yuri said:
hello,

im wondering if i need to apply for student visa, if i just want to enroll 1 or 2 subjects for 1 term.

i have not really decided if i am really INTO this course.. i just want to take some subjects and gauge if its for me or not.. should i decide that I want it, then I can continue to finish the full-course, then I will apply for a student visa... ????

i think i read that if i the program is more than 6 months, then I need to apply for one. ill just be in school 4 months.. then we'll see if i continue.. ill just never know if i dont try the subjects out.. maybe i misinterpreted the rules.

Thank you..
When you applied to the university, did you apply for a program? If so, I don't think the university will let you enroll without providing a study permit. The school probably has an office specifically for international students, so you may want to contact them and see what they say.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
yuri said:
hello,

Thank you..
It doesn't matter if you take 1 course of 2 courses but if the length of the program is more than 6 months then you will require an SP. If you get your SP then your TWP will become invalid and you can't work.