+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a transit visa if travelling from Canada to India via London?

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
Hi There,
Please help me ASAP and answer my question as I am not getting a proper answer from airlines or unable to contact EMBASSY.

I am an Indian citizen and holding a work visa in Canada. I have a travel plan from Canada to India (New Delhi) and return from India to Canada via London Airport with 2-3 hours lay over. I was wondering if I need a transit visa to enter UK or in-case have to depart from London to New Delhi from another terminal or have to baggage claim or have to go out of the Airport for terminal change? Any possibility scenarios.....

Please do reply soon with correct information and also if YES to UK transit visa then where and how can I get that? I would really appreciate your answers.

Thanks,
Snigdha

omverma

Jun 26, 2015
snigdhap said:
Hi There,
Please help me ASAP and answer my question as I am not getting a proper answer from airlines or unable to contact EMBASSY.

I am an Indian citizen and holding a work visa in Canada. I have a travel plan from Canada to India (New Delhi) and return from India to Canada via London Airport with 2-3 hours lay over. I was wondering if I need a transit visa to enter UK or in-case have to depart from London to New Delhi from another terminal or have to baggage claim or have to go out of the Airport for terminal change? Any possibility scenarios.....

Please do reply soon with correct information and also if YES to UK transit visa then where and how can I get that? I would really appreciate your answers.

Thanks,
Snigdha
Hey, you booked your flight from Canada to India and flight is having stop at London for 2-3 hours. And it must be same terminal i think. And you don't need transit visa as you are not going to leave the airport.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

No, you do not need a transit visa for London LHR.

If you have to change terminals, then follow the Flight Connections signs.... the Flight Connections bus will transfer you between terminals. You will not be allowed to leave the bus. You will have to go through security checks again when you reach the departure terminal

Cheers

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
@ Bryanna, Thank you so much.

One more question plz.. I found another flight while leaving Canada to India via Frankfruit for which no Transit required but again while I am returning from India have to come via London. so in that case also I don't required a UK Transit visa with same 2-3 hours layover?

snigdhap

Feb 22, 2016
@ omverma,

Thank you ! And what if I will book flight from Canada to India via Frank-fruit where transit visa is not required but while returning from India to Canada have to come via London with same 2-3 hours layover. In that case also I don't need a UK Transit visa?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
One more question plz.. I found another flight while leaving Canada to India via Frankfruit for which no Transit required but again while I am returning from India have to come via London. so in that case also I don't required a UK Transit visa with same 2-3 hours layover?
No, you will not require a UK transit visa even in this case

Garry213189

Star Member
Oct 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sAME qUESTION

Hi There,

I am an Indian citizen and holding a STUDENT visa in Canada AND RESIDENT PERMIT OF AUSTRALIA I have a travel plan from Canada to India (New Delhi) and return from India to Canada via London Airport with 8 hours lay over. I was wondering if I need a transit visa to enter UK . mY CONNECTING FLIGHT IS FROM SAME LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT ONLY.

nirdeshworld

Sep 22, 2015
Guys need urgent help - i am travelling to Canada from India (Delhi) by British Airways via London, there will be a layoff of 2.30 hours, i will have to change flight (Iberia) from there to Canada, wanted to check if i need Transit Visa for that?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Guys need urgent help - i am travelling to Canada from India (Delhi) by British Airways via London, there will be a layoff of 2.30 hours, i will have to change flight (Iberia) from there to Canada, wanted to check if i need Transit Visa for that?
Is the answer not as above although never heard of Iberia flying direct from LHR to Canada unless some new route, usually a code share with BA.

Also check here if you fall within an exemption which if you have a visa for Canada probably would. https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Ankur@neja98

Oct 21, 2023
hey, i have a question regarding travelling. I am Planing to travel india (Home country) from canada via London(LHR), do i need a transit visa while am on work permit?

smanchanda

Feb 15, 2016
Need urgent help-
Indian passport — I am travelling from Canada to India via London on 19th Jan 2024 .Layover - 4hours
I just received my CoPR and I do have a temporary visa until July 2024.
however I don’t have my PR card. Do I still need transit visa at London airport?