+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a return ticket if I enter Canada with a W-1 work visa?

ad_robotics

Oct 17, 2016
Hello everyone,
I've gone through a lot of posts on this forum and couldn't find anyone who could firmly determine if a return ticket is needed or not.

I applied and received a Canadian W-1 work visa. This will be the first time I will enter Canada. My one way plane ticket has this message written on it: "It is necessary to present a return/on-going ticket or the relevant residence permit. Otherwise entry is not possible.". I will hopefully receive the work permit after landing, what I have now is the work visa (that page in my passport) and all other relevant documents.

My question is: Do I need a return ticket if I am entering Canada for the first time with a W-1 work visa?
If Yes: Does the return date have to be the same day or can it be months apart?

salmoncwb

Apr 6, 2016
I was in the same situation as you when I first came to Canada. I didn't have a return ticket and everything went smoothly at the border.

As far as the airline company is concerned, they will only check your visa (page in passport), not your permit.

The need for a return ticket will vary depending on the border officer that ends up processing your entry.
In general, I don't think you need it, especially since your visa is at least for year right?

ad_robotics

Oct 17, 2016
Thanks for the info. My flight is in a week so I guess we'll see soon enough. I'll post whatever happens.
My visa is valid for 2-3 years until my passport expires.

Tito19

Jan 24, 2019
Hello everyone. Please would like to find out if I can buy a one-way ticket to canada with a work visa or must it be a return ticket. My work visa is valid for the next 3 years. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. Please would like to find out if I can buy a one-way ticket to canada with a work visa or must it be a return ticket. My work visa is valid for the next 3 years. Thanks
One way is fine.